Changing habits of hogs

Andre Lopes

Boar Hunter from Southern Brazil
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hello friends!
When I started hunting boar, I realized that in the months of May and November the females were always accompanied by puppies. For me, this demonstrated that pups born twice a year.
But since last year, I realized that this has changed since puppies can be sighted in March, July / August and November! From my understanding, I believe that the abundance of food can be born puppies three times a year.
This also occurs in Texas?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Andre, hog gestation would allow 3 litters in 14 months, we get at least 2 here, so you are right about on the max.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I agree with 2-3 times in 14 months. Also, sows don't have a specific time of year they go in heat. If there are multiple sows in a sounder they may go in heat at different times. This will produce litters at varying times of the year. The more food the more hogs will flourish.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right, biologically, they can drop 3 litters a year. Depending on the "expert" you read or listen to, actual litter rates are less except under ideal circumstances...which are usually barnyard circumstances. I don't know of any specific studies of feral hogs where it can be said that a particular sow or sows have been directly monitored over the course of multiple years to see exactly how many they truly have, though the few biologists and property managers with whom I have spoken assure me that it is less than 2 per year for a given sow.

Now, how they "know" this without actually tagging their sows and watching the known specific progress of given individuals is beyond me, especially when it is that sounders move in and out of areas, sometimes for months at a time. In other words, I think they are passing off what they feel to be true based on logical assessment versus direct observation. That doesn't make their assessments wrong, just not field proven.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right Brian, food and water, little pressure you get a higher birthrate. Even though they are able to reproduce 3 times in 14 mos I would suspect the real average is 1 1/2 per 12 months.