Chain/hog tow options

LSB Active Member
Dang it I'm sorry I know I asked this a few months ago, but I can't locate it. Someone had a link to a neat chain/metal bar you could use to haul them out of the woods and then hook to hitch and drag. Thanks....sorry for the repeat but you should know by now I'm a big dummy.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian and "Special Ed" had those made by a friend of theirs. Don't remember which thread tho. I made a crude copy with 1" thin wall square tubing with a chain run through it them looped around and welded to the end. A friend made the observation it was like a choke chain for dogs. And it is! Works awesome!

LSB Active Member
If you think of it and it's not too much trouble is there any way I could get a look at it please? I'm envisioning it, but want to make sure b/f I have someone weld it up. Thanks!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah yes, the Minnesota Hog Dragger, invented by hog farmers in Minnesota from scrap around the barn yard to haul out hogs that had died in the hog barn. These devices are simple, work well, and as well as they work for one person, still work very well for two people. It is an amazing device in the sense that the cinching aspect cinches so tightly.

Hog%20Drag%201.jpg

So you have about an 18" steel bar onto which you weld a chain. The chain is threaded through a bit of tubing that is just slightly larger than the chain and then the chain is welded to the tubing.

Engraving is optional.

LSB Active Member
Thanks! How would that work as far as attaching to a trailer hitch? I will mostly need it for that aspect. Thanks for the pic that makes perfect sense!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
paracord and a stick works too

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use a thick rope. The a loop on the end. Run the rope back through the tied loop to make a loop that will slip when tension is applied. On the other end, run the rope through a price of 1/2-1" diameter pvc pipe. Tie it off in a loop. Super cheap hog drag that is light enough to throw in a pack and not notice.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks! How would that work as far as attaching to a trailer hitch? I will mostly need it for that aspect. Thanks for the pic that makes perfect sense!
Djones uses a large carabiner and we attach them to the sides of a receiver hitch.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a 10' tow strap or a 10' cable strap for dragging in a vehicle

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

The handle I have actually just fits through through the lock pin hole for the hitch. With that said, if I was planning on dragging from a hitch, I would just go with a rope or cable and a carabiner and string several on one line through the hocks behind the Achilles tendon. You have to make a cut, but you can carry several together.