Cedar break pig

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Decided to go hunting today. The weather was perfect, cold and windy, so I hit the thick cedars. I knew the hogs would be on the south side of the hills in the thick cedars. Went walking down some old trails that had lots of signs. Looks like they have been rooting in this area for a while at least since the last rain. Shots in this stuff are 25 yards or less so you have to go slow and listen. I had walked about 500 yards from my truck when I heard a low grunt. I stopped and started looking hard through the sticks when I saw 2 60 lb pigs rooting under a oak tree. I didn't have a clear shot at anything. I picked an opening that they were headed to and waited for the to cross it. This little pig was the first one in the opening so he got it. The first shot was a gut shot and the pig took off running I made a wild follow up shot that hit him in the shoulder and that was it. At my first shot you could hear hogs take off everywhere. Not a big one but it beat sitting at home. The second pic shows how thick the area is. I would usually use my 458 Socom but the 6.8 with the 120 SST did the job.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is really thick...with your 458 you might have cut him in half! Congrats, glad you got out.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice job in that thick stuff. He would be perfect on the smoker.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That looks like it could be an exciting place to hunt. It would be extremely hard to hunt in the dark in there. Good job!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great hunting

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Congratz on that hog.

That looks like some of the old growth Hemlock thickets that we used to call yotes in,in Maine. My Benelli M1 Super 90 came in real handy. I shot the older 3" lead "BB" loads. --- pruhdlr

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use to hunt this with a 12ga and 3" 00 buck shot. Then I got my 458 Socom and it worked great. Then I got a 458 Socom AR pistol and that is what I carry most of the time. There are some 20 year old 4 wheeler trails through this stuff and that is my only path through it. Shots are fast and close. NV doesn't wrok to good in the cedars. Hogs love this stuff. You can walk 20 yards from a whole sounder group and never see them..

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet it can get exciting being so close and not able to see them all!

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It does get a little sporty sometimes, but it works both ways, sometimes they dont see me.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that is handgun or knofe hunting distance and territory.

Nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!