Catching wild piglets

Dave Morris

A neighbor two properties down the road from my ranch came knocking on my door one evening after I had already settled in, and said he had shot a sow that afternoon and then discovered she was trailing at least 5 piglets. He felt bad about shooting one of them, and the other 4 had escaped onto my land and headed into my creek. He wanted to know if he could go onto my property to look for them and save them from a coyote dinner. So I went out with him, and this is our story:

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice story. Lots of folks will raise wild piglets with good feed. Makes for some fine tasting pork.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Used to catch piglets all the time when I was little, raised them up and made sausage outta them, tasty! Gotta watch out for the sows, even if the piglets are not theirs a wet sow will come back for a squeeling piglet!

Dave Morris

Yeah, that's what we were a bit afraid of. We may have been dressed in our preppy cabin-wear, but we were both armed to the teeth when we opened up that nest. ;)

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
About 8 years ago, my dad's friend went on a hunt with us and shot a wet sow, so we went out into the middle of this 400 acre grain field to catch the piglets, grain waist high, most of the sows didn't move off after the shooting. I imagin that if someone was watching they were dieing from laughter. About the time you would catch a piglet a 100-120lbs sow would be after you. My dads buddy ran all the way back to the truck, screaming like someone put his wedding tackle in a mouse trap. I think I caught 2 piglets, and my Dad got one. Only real injury was a piglet bit me on the ear and drew a little blood.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only real injury was a piglet bit me on the ear and drew a little blood.
What were ya doin'? Nuttin' the little feller and he turned around to bite back? LOL

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
About 8 years ago, my dad's friend went on a hunt with us and shot a wet sow, so we went out into the middle of this 400 acre grain field to catch the piglets, grain waist high, most of the sows didn't move off after the shooting. I imagin that if someone was watching they were dieing from laughter. About the time you would catch a piglet a 100-120lbs sow would be after you. My dads buddy ran all the way back to the truck, screaming like someone put his wedding tackle in a mouse trap. I think I caught 2 piglets, and my Dad got one. Only real injury was a piglet bit me on the ear and drew a little blood.
Can you spell Brucellosis?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have thought about keeping one as a pet but I think it would make it hard for me to kill the others.

Dave Morris

I guess maybe I shouldn't be naming the hogs I see at the feeder, huh.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LMAO, meh the little ones fight just as much as the big ones, and they really don't like getting picked up by the back legs! I don't really remember how he got me on the ear, but its ok, he was mighty tasty so that makes it all better!

Histopicker, outside of Yellowstone and bordering areas you really don't have to worry about Brucellosis, it has been mostly eradicated. I do worry about TB and Trichinosis, as both are very common in our area, but you can tell if a hog is infected when your skinning them out so we have never had someone get sick.

Dave Morris

I do worry about TB and Trichinosis, as both are very common in our area, but you can tell if a hog is infected when your skinning them out

Please 'splain!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When you skin them out, find a lymph node, take a SUPER sharp knife and split the node. If it feels "gritty" as you cut through it, the pig is a carrier for TB. This was developed by butchers 100yrs ago, and has been proven in 2 different TB surveys of hogs in our area. My Grandfather and his brothers worked with a Federal Biologist in the mid-60s catching hogs and biopsing them for TB, heart worms, and Trichansis. My Grandfather was right on EVERY hog they tested, and they were killing and processing 10-20 hogs a day for a whole summer, then again in the early 70s with a college professor and F&G biologist.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh, and as for Trich, assume every hog has it, since most do, and just cook the meat all the way though and your ok. Never eat raw pork.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You want to live risky? Make pork liver pate'! That will cure your "fun itch"!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I'd rather risk drinking from the milk carton. LOL
You want to live risky? Make pork liver pate'! That will cure your "fun itch"!!

Dave Morris

And I do soooo love lymph nodes.. sauteed, with a bit of chianti, and a side of grit.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter