#Can't Win Them All

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I have been hunting this high fence place where the hogs broke in a few months ago and there are some larger hogs present. I just haven't been seeing them very often. Finally, I spied one coming through the woods, but immediately lost sight of it as it passed behind a camper. I got moved down out of my truck and around the camper just in time to see the hog scaring off some deer while attending to some personal business.

The power issue is perplexing. I am running an external power supply and this has happened 3 times. I thought the first was a fluke, maybe I didn't connect something properly. After it happened a second time, I changed batteries I was using, hoping that maybe the battery was failing, but then it happened a third time here. I have since gone to all internal power and have not had the problem repeat, not that it was an often problem. Basically, I am trying to isolate whether the issue is with the power supply or with the scope and at this point, I am leaning toward power supply.

So the first shot was quartered away, should have been about mid neck with the trajectory taking it toward the back of the head. To my surprise, the hog did not go down. The hog definitely reacted to the shot, but when he turns, there is no indication that the shot over penetrated as I would have expected. The second shot should have impacted as a gut shot. I looked that night and the following day. The landowner kept an eye out for buzzards, but we had no luck. I believe the hog to be dead, but have no body to show for it. :mad:

This was the last hog I shot with my usual 20" direct impingement Grendel before I switched over to testing the 18" piston Grendel.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang. Looked like a good first shot. My MKII did that a couple times with external battery. It would only happen when the battery was getting low. But the indicater on the external battery would still show about 1/3 power left. This would be after at least 10+ hours of use without recharging the battery. Got a 2nd baker battery and don't hunt two nights in a row with the same batter or without recharging the battery and haven't had an issue since. Hopefully it stays that way. Not sure if that helps