Camo Painting Your Truck.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Warning.... Don't try this at home.

ivzpky.jpg

A few months back I purchased a White 99 Suburban. I knew from the start white wasn't going to work considering I often use the truck while spotting the larger fields, moving every few hundred yards before stopping to get out and scan an area with the thermal scope.

More then once with my last truck I drove up within 100, 150 yards of a hog or group of hogs. The white truck stood out like a glowing light. Not much chance of sneaking up on much of anything.

I had considered getting a wrap like TLM, however the price would have been close to what I paid for the truck so I didn't figure it would be worth it. Off to Walmart I went to grab a bunch of shaker cans. Little did I know how much work it would be.

I removed as much trim as I could and taped off the rest. Did a test in a small area and decided I was going to have to sand as much as of the truck as I could. 20 some hours later I was able to spay the base coat of OD green.

I used Hack berry leaves as they had a nice simple structure, however something heaver would have been nicer. I just finished putting everything back together and spraying the wheels today. After over 30 hours of work, and $400 in tools and supplies, a cheap flat OD green paint job at a body shop sure would have been a better choice. Finally I can get back to actually hunting.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like it. I'll be dropping off my truck next week for you!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DANG!!!! good job from what I see in the picture. GOOD ON YA! BANG BANG!!

Dan post pictures when your truck gets done!:)

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But when look at your truck a smile will come across your face. Hard work great job.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey that looks great, you did a good job!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That'll do pig.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great look, and done well. Nice work. Having done it, you'll enjoy the look all the more.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been told maaco or earl Schieb will do a paint job for 100 and on a surburban that would be 200 and a sorta camo $400, that sound about right?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When i was young I bought a big long yellow van. I decided to spray can it black. I never did finished the roof.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Every time I go out in the field, I camouflage my old SUV with scrub brush, prickly pear and splotches of dirt.

But just on the undercarriage.

'Cause I'm lazy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess 1 day I will have a ragged out paint job and get to camo it, sure are some nice rattle can jobs out there. TLM's old truck and a roller looked good too.

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Warning.... Don't try this at home.
Hey hey!! Looks nice. Gotta love old rattle canned hunt trucks. Here's a coupla pics of my old rig. I had sticks and leaves at first, but noticed it just blobbed together once I stepped back from the truck. After a bit of fiddlin with it and much alcohol. I ended up filling it in in places and finally going with a "battleship" type with large crisp splotches and angles. That seemed to work well, but I didn't take any pics 'cept for the one of the fender in "transition":D. DOH!!
There's a certain "science" to this mess, dontchyaknow? ;) d:^)
Junior_Dec_03_zps63qhhkxe.jpg
Lex_1K_Mar04_zps5hw68v2i.jpg