Caliber suggestions

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I have a stripped upper and lower. Will be used primarily for pigs. I guess I have narrowed it down to the 6.8 spc, .277 wolverine, and the 6mm mongoose.

I like the idea of using the 5.56 case as I have a couple thousand already and they are easily accessible. I don't reload yet but will be in the very near future. Also like the fact you can use standard mags with the .277 or 6mm as I have quite a few.

The "you only need the barrel argument" doesn't apply here because I need everything except the stripped upper and lower.

I like the fact if need be you can get the 6.8spc over the counter.

90% of my shots will be under 200 yds with the majority under 100. I'd anticipate about 500-1000 rounds a year. I'm currently running a 5.56 with 65gr Sierra gamepoints, not the greatest but has served me well.

What would you do?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
+1 on a 6.8 with an *** barrel. Consider having Eric from Blackstone Arms build your upper for you too.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.8 bc of all the good hunting factory ammo options.
I started with a 5.56, and upgraded to a 6.8.. Now I have 2..
Zen archery on here uses the .277 wolverine I'm pretty sure. He may be able to give input in that. And I've never heard of the mongoose. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I was leaning more towards the wolverine. I guess I'll have to keep rolling it around.

Reckon Eric from blackstone will build it on my stripped upper if I send it to him? If I keep it laying around it will have to be turned into to something...lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6.8 better energy, low recoil. If you want to go .223 brass I would go blackout over the other ammo us everywhere for it these days, but both rounds you listed are less powerful than the 6.8spc.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
.277Wolv has a nice niche.
I've been very impressed with it though it's seen little field time since I got my Creedmoor.
I'm pushing a hand load pill .95gr Barnes TACTX at 2704 FPS which surpassed the 6.8 SPC box ammo. Yes, this is hot load. But no visible case issues. I am also running an 18" barrel (more mv) most guys are carrying the 16".

I would not get if you don't handload.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is noting a wolverine can do that the 6.8 cannot do better and as Todd says at least the 300wtf has ammo available all over. Still the 6.8 is the way to go for hunting

Lrtx1

LSB Member
Thanks guys, I guess I'll go the 6.8 route. Now it's just figuring out what parts to get.