Busted: CLICK go the Piglets

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took family members of the landowner out to hunt Friday night, the son (who grew up hunting there) and his 13 year old son. Turns out, they had NV as well. Watched a bunch of deer for hours and were on the way out of the oats field when I spied a small group of hogs. They were moving and we soon lost them. Another 100 yards up, re-acquired them. The boy had the honor of the first shot and was apparently quite excited. I am recording from about 5 yards away. Turn up the sound on your device and on the player - not to worry, no loud noises will occur.

I suspect we took out their mother on Monday.

Sharp metallic sounds like that of an AR15 safety being snapped off can travel a long ways on a calm night.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those piglets act like they have been terrorized by everything in the area.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree Dan. They are real goosey. To hear that click at 50 yards is amazing. They will grow up to be a very good challenge to Mountain Man Brian.

Looks like one of those guys in the series!!!!!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing like that sick feeling when the thunderous clatter of a safety erupts through the silence of night LOL... 'DOH!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I learned last season to turn off safety very slowly when I scared off an 8 pointer. I was shocked it heard it at 75 yds.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I turn mine w 2 fingers slowly to silence it.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I either do it with 2 fingers, or with sideways pressure on the safety to slowly rotate it in place without it slapping into FIRE. I know I have snapped the safety off before. Rob has. We probably all have at some point when we should not have. We learn from the experience. I am sure the shooter understood what happened after he saw the piglets run.

It is pretty amazing that at the distance, it got their attention. I would not have expected that.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The two loudest sounds you will ever hear are the 'click' when you should get 'bang', and the 'bang' you are not expecting it.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WOW!! When they were all balled up like that someone should of cut lose and laid waste to all of them!!! They looked like a bunch of hopping rabbits when they were leaving!!!:) Better luck next time!!! HOP HOP HOP HOP!!!!!!!