Built in Thermal Range Finders....

Bocephus

LSB Member
Does Armasight have built in range finders on some models like ATN does? If so, is it just as goofy where you have to select the animal you are ranging, then range the top of the back and the belly?

Next question, is why are they built that way? I've never seen such a weird design for range finding. Seems like a technology that would have been around 30 years ago.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No they are extrenal but the scopes can display the range in the screen. But they are just point and click like a typical laser rangfinder.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ATN has a form of stadiometric rangefinding. It is oldschool technology also had by the IR Hunter MKIII scopes. What is needed for stadiometric rangefinding is the size of the item you are trying to range. This provides the known parameter by when the range can be determined. The problem is that animals such as hogs over vary tremendously in size. So unless the hog you are ranging a hog (in this case) that is the size of the hog ATN used for scale, then the distance will be off.

The practice is used quite a bit in the military. So it really isn't goofy, but maybe not practical in the field for hunting.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
To piggyback off Brian, The Reap-IR also has a stadiametric rangefinder like the mkiii. I could see where it would be beneficial when thermal conditions are poor in a big field and there are no known landmarks to help determine distance. It would at least give u an ok idea of distance. As in that animal is probably closer to 200-250 vs 300-350 yds. Although I don't really use mine so I could be completely wrong and I have shot a big hog almost 200 yds away in tall grass that I though was an average sized hog much closer about 100 yds away. Bullet hit 2-3 inches lower than I wanted bc my scope was zeroed at 100 yds, not 200.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My buddy rented a Reap IR back in October for our hunt. He got pretty accurate ranging the pigs. Just for driving instructions when he'd spot them but still pretty helpful.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Most of our shots are <100yds. But even still,it is pretty hard to guesstimate the range fairly close. Of course at these ranges it really does not matter as far as the bullet drops. I normally shoot a 6.8 85gr at >3000fps and it is sighted in for .5" low at 50yds. Even when using the 300BLK and the 110gr black tips at almost 2400fps,with that gun sighted in at .5" low at 50yds it is still a "hold dead on " shot.
Seems that someone would produce a laser rangefinder,built in to the thermal,with a projected dot that was visable thru the viewer. Put the laser/dot on the animal and push a button,and the range readout would appear in the viewer. --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seems that someone would produce a laser rangefinder,built in to the thermal,with a projected dot that was visable thru the viewer. Put the laser/dot on the animal and push a button,and the range readout would appear in the viewer. --- pruhdlr

Well, with a burning laser, you would be able to see the dot in a thermal scope. The only problem is that you would be setting on fire whatever you are ranging. :eek:

Bocephus

LSB Member
It may be used for military application, but's totally "goofy" technology for hunting. Actually its almost worthless.

I guess I still don't understand why they couldn't just have a bolt on laser range finder that aligns itself with the cross hairs.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The technology of stadiometric rangefinding is solid, even if the application is not.

Because the issue of just aligning itself with the crosshairs is pretty goofy as well. Parallax is a big issue and if you are not careful, you end up ranging the wrong thing. Anyone that has used LRFs before knows how easy that is to do at distance. In an open field, it can be hard to determine if you are ranging a hog or the ground behind it at 423 yards.

Armasight makes a bolt on LRF. There is no self alignment. You have to zero it to the scope. Since you can't see the beam, it helps if you zero to targets that are as small as possible to assure accuracy. Also, the unit isn't exactly small.

Being off some when it comes to spot and drive isn't a big deal, but when it comes to ballistics beyond 200-250 yards where drop rate becomes critical.

We will probably get self aligning rangefinders when we get self zeroing scopes.

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter