Buck140 Belt Knife

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought this little skinner a few years back. It’s a skeletonized handled knife (US Made), which is light/compact and retails for about $25. But, the nylon sheath sucks. It doesn’t sit centered, the first time the knife is drawn, the retention strap gets cut. I’d already given it a paracord wrap to the handle and incorporated a lanyard, but refused to wear the knife until I addressed the sheath. So… I drew a pattern, cut it out, and cut myself some leather.
Three pieces: Sheath, Welt, Filler Strip. With the welt/filler glued in place, the body of the sheath is ready to be folded over. I’d cut a trough along the fold with a “V” Gouge so the leather would lay better when folded. The filler strip presses against the sheathed blade and the added friction helps to secure the blade in the sheath.
Buck140Cut_zpsxcaxitwg.jpg

Next up, skive the end of the belt loop flap. It’ll be glued/stitched at the blade insertion point of the sheath. I also trimmed the three glued layers of leather to an even edge, did some edge bevel work and got it ready for burnishing.
Buck140Glue_zps2iiafncg.jpg

With the belt loop glued into place, and the fit of the knife to the sheath confirmed, it’s time to proceed to the next step.
Buck140Fit_zps9sr7vcnq.jpg

With the edges of the leather burnished smooth, I cut a trough for the stitch line, which will bed the stitching into the face of the leather. I also burnished a decorative crease on edges which will not be stitched. This time, I decided to use “Pricking Irons” to space/punch my stitching holes into the leather. I must admit, I’m becoming a HUGE fan of this (over using an over-stitch wheel/awl) means. I’m finding it’s much easier to keep an even stitch line on the back face of the leather and makes for a neater appearance.
Buck140Punched001_zpshtfylnna.jpg

As usual, I used a saddle stitch along the welt, and to anchor the belt loop flap to itself. Here’s the front side of the sheath.
Buck140Stitched001_zpsjjw58npg.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Finish time. Some Neetsfoot Oil to the leather. A couple of coats of Saddle Tan leather dye. A little more burnishing on the edges. Some Gum Tragacanth applied to the edges to seal/polish and add a little shine. And, a couple of coats of Super Sheen applied to seal/finish the leather.

Front

Buck140FrontDone_zpskvw5amt1.jpg

Back

Buck140BackDone_zpsefshfky3.jpg

Edges

Buck140EdgeSlicked_zps6wphc9ic.jpg

Color it DONE !!!

Buck140Finished_zpslosxerho.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another fine job RD!! I like it

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Frank. I'm trying to hone my ability to make varied styles of sheaths.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well you are doing a great job, wish you were here I could keep you busy !! How about an AR sheath?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... I have been kicking around an idea. Building up stacked/glued leather strips to the back strap of an A2 pistol grip... including a palm swell. Then doing a wrap of the entire grip with thin leather and stitching it up at the finger groove edge using a baseball stitch.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was thinking more like the saddle holster for the old lever actions, maybe even w a flap on top?

saddlescabbard3a.jpg

byrontsbrd1.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh... I could make something along those lines. If I still had my horse, I'd probably already have a scabbard made up. LOL

I miss the boy... "Ripley"... all groomed up and content. He was all stove up in this pic and didn't flinch as I groomed him up. The day before, he'd sired a foal and was VERY sore.

Groomed001.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you old cowboy you...I am sure you could do it too

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you old cowboy you...I am sure you could do it too
And, he was all Quarter Horse, even with those long legs, his big ass confirmed he was all Quarter Horse. He was nearly as tall as a Thoroughbred. He was two in that pic.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
(Hey) I resemble that remark !!