Broken Zeus Lens Cap - Flip Cap SOLUTION

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know it happens once in a while. I have seen a couple of other videos online where folks show their Zeus scopes and no objective lens cap. One of the rubber arms that holds the lens cap on my Armasight Zeus 75mm scope broke a few months ago after 2 years of use. Well that was a pain. It would just dangle off to the side and I was afraid of the other arm getting broken and loosing the entire cap, so I removed everything and would leave the cap in my rifle bag when I would go hunt. That meant leaving the very expensive Germanium lens exposed during periods of my hunt when I did not want it exposed. A flip cap would be cool, but Butler Creek didn't make anything that would fit over the lip of the bell on the 75mm. Bummer. Besides, the Butler Creek caps are somewhat fragile themselves and don't take well to twisting. I am not delicate with my gear, so I really wanted something that would hold up to crawling through the briars without being torn off.

I spent a while looking for solutions and finally found one that looked interesting when I found this video ...

I checked the sizes. Nothing actually looks like it will fit the bell and lip of the Zeus 75mm but I ordered the largest size...

https://smile.amazon.com/Vortex-Def...7727&sr=8-4&keywords=vortex+defender+flip+cap

The skirt of the Defender lens cap that fits over the bell is a flexible rubber. It took a little work, but I got it on and it appears that it is going to work just fine! Here are pics showing the cap closed, open, and locked back.

VD1-vert.jpg

They also have a size that will fit the 42mm Zeus scopes as well.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LDC1PFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Field tests start tonight. I will be using the scope as a spotting scope and then will get it back on a rifle in the next day or so...

Last edited:

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice! Been wanting to do something like that on mine. Is there an inner lip or anything that might obstruct the view?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for the suggestion Brian. That looks like a nice lens cap.

D

djones

good find. i've glued every part of the cap that can be glued... several times, and am still hanging on by one arm

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good deal ! I've been very impressed with everything I have from Vortex.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh sweet baby Jesus, thank you Brian. Just got an e-mail form Armasight that I'd have to call their parts department to order one. The new version that is shown in some of the pictures of the 42 and 75 non-Pro Zeus on their website is a prototype and the two arm rubber cover is the only one they sell. Same goes for the prototype mount in the pics.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I quickly replaced the silicone caps that came on my ATN ThOR with the flip up ones made by Butler Creek. --- pruhdlr SANY0065.JPG

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After two hunts of carrying the Zeus on a lanyard around my neck and one night of vehicle-hunting (in and out of the truck lots of times) with the cap open most of the time, no problems. I have hit it and banged it around and so far so good. I definitely think it is worth the $18.00. Plus, I really like how it protects the bell of the scope, open or closed.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When it's on your rifle you might try it turn it upside down. So when it's opened the cap flips down and lays flat on your rail so it's not sticking up or able to snag on anything. That's how I had the cap that is on my photon XT back when I used it a lot.

JeremyV

LSB Member
I know it happens once in a while. I have seen a couple of other videos online where folks show their Zeus scopes and no objective lens cap. One of the rubber arms that holds the lens cap on my Armasight Zeus 75mm scope broke a few months ago after 2 years of use. Well that was a pain. It would just dangle off to the side and I was afraid of the other arm getting broken and loosing the entire cap, so I removed everything and would leave the cap in my rifle bag when I would go hunt. That meant leaving the very expensive Germanium lens exposed during periods of my hunt when I did not want it exposed. A flip cap would be cool, but Butler Creek didn't make anything that would fit over the lip of the bell on the 75mm. Bummer. Besides, the Butler Creek caps are somewhat fragile themselves and don't take well to twisting. I am not delicate with my gear, so I really wanted something that would hold up to crawling through the briars without being torn off.

I spent a while looking for solutions and finally found one that looked interesting when I found this video ...

I checked the sizes. Nothing actually looks like it will fit the bell and lip of the Zeus 75mm but I ordered the largest size...

https://smile.amazon.com/Vortex-Def...7727&sr=8-4&keywords=vortex+defender+flip+cap

The skirt of the Defender lens cap that fits over the bell is a flexible rubber. It took a little work, but I got it on and it appears that it is going to work just fine! Here are pics showing the cap closed, open, and locked back.

VD1-vert.jpg

They also have a size that will fit the 42mm Zeus scopes as well.
https://smile.amazon.com/Vortex-Def...id=1480608130&sr=8-3&keywords=vortex+defender

Field tests start tonight. I will be using the scope as a spotting scope and then will get it back on a rifle in the next day or so...
Thanks for the link ordered one for my zeus 42mm it will probably get here before my scope lol

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I order one today too. I like the idea of mounting it so the cap flips down.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent, Jhop!

I spent last night walking around in the rain while hunting hogs and coyotes. The Vortex Defender did a very good job. No leaking, not that I expected any and any good lens cap should keep the lens dry, but you never know until you try.

I really like the feature about how the cap can be locked back and flat, NOT obstructing your view like the Butler Creek caps do.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for posting Brian - great find. The exact same thing happened on my Zeus 75 last month and I taped it back together with a long thin strand of duct tape. I now have the Vortex cap on the way. I think I will really like how the cover can flip 180 deg back on itself and lay flat on top the Zeus.

Btw I'm deeply religious about keeping the cover on my lens. If I'm not looking through the Zeus I have the rubber cap in place. I have a buddy who smashed the lens of his Thor in a freak accident by not having the cover on it.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Butler Creek's largest won't even go on the 75mm and the Vortex Defender just barely does. So you are going to have to do some hard searching, I think, to find a mate for the 100mm.