Bore sighting jig

Discussion in 'Firearms; Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol, accessories.' started by jglass, Oct 13, 2017.

1. jglass

jglass LSB Member

I can see myself doing plenty of bore sighting as I setup an AR-15 for wild hog hunting with different sights and scopes. Bore sighting works fairly well for me because the hogs are not far away, under 50 yards. I have rested the upper receive on a 48" step ladder and used pieces of wood to shim the receiver so the bore is aligned with the target. The problem is with the slightest bump of the ladder the project could end up on the ground so I decided to conjure up a jig to make bore sighting easier and safer for the rifle. I should consult with you guys before I build these projects instead of after because you always have some good ideas. I have it finished and plan to sight in some night vision scopes tonight in my back yard.

The center of gravity of the upper receiver is centered to the step ladder to improve stability and lessen the possibility of the rifle falling off the ladder. I included leveling jacks to help align the barrel with the target.

[​IMG]

Upper receiver removed to see the jig.

[​IMG]

Someone that saw the jig mentioned it will be useful for gun cleaning to.

Leaving for Florida November 4th

bar-d likes this.
  2. bar-d

bar-d LSB Member

Nice work.

3. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Whatever happened to a bungee cord and duct tape...

4. WhoCares

WhoCares LSB Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Pretty fancy setup. I just use a $5 laser taped to my bore and then adjust my scope accordingly. Takes 5 minutes or less on a day scope.

5. jglass

jglass LSB Member

Well,,,,I have a complete machine shop in my garage and I seem to have plenty of spare time so I dream up projects to make life
    better then build them. Last week I made accessories for my tree stand. The week before that I tooled up to reload 9mm. I get a huge kick out of making gun related items, even making whole guns. Nothing more fun than shooting a gun you made yourself or better yet shooting hogs.

Around November 8th I'll be wild hog hunting every day or night in Florida. Plan to post pictures of that.

Thanks for the interest though!!

RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  6. WhoCares

WhoCares LSB Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Can’t wait to see those hogs and more cool projects!

7. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

8. jglass

jglass LSB Member

My first AR-15 built from a kit, then I made a case for it.

[​IMG]

I purchased an 80% finished lower receiver, finish machined it to complete the rifle.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  9. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Nice!