Boar almost saved by 123's

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here is a video from this weekend. Lone boar pushing a pig pipe I'm using the apollo clip on with the vortex 1x6 day scope zoomed in to 4x so I can not see the battery indicator it was close! Just to clarify this is an example of what a thermal scope looks like with low battery.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what a shame about the battery

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is it just me, or is the W-1000 a far superior unit? (fading battery/fog aside)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is it just me, or is the W-1000 a far superior unit? (fading battery/fog aside)

What would make you think that? Two totally different setups you would have to compare the w1000 to the zeus line. With a clip on you have 1x magnification vs 3x or more with the w1000. Any of the thermals will look like this when the power runs out they start to get dark do the matrix screen thing and then go totally black.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe what made me ask was mostly due to fog. The deer in the background really lacked definition, to the point that had you not said they were deer, it wasn't clear what was being looked at.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe what made me ask was mostly due to fog. The deer in the background really lacked definition, to the point that had you not said they were deer, it wasn't clear what was being looked at.

Here you go Ratdog I have Images from both side by side! Now to be fair I was not focused right so I included a focused picture from the apollo that was taken earlier in the night.
Apollo 1x 640 out of focus and battery almost dead.

W1000 3x 320 same pig same deer same time.

Apollo about an hour later in focus with new batteries

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, thanks... that Apollo is pretty sharp and clear.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, thanks... that Apollo is pretty sharp and clear.

But the w1000 is still a great scope and will definitely get the job done. The size is what throws most people off and they never give it a chance.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, about both pictures. Were they both taken from the same spot? What was your range to the hog?
Yes standing by side by side about 60-70 yards as a guesstimate.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes standing by side by side about 60-70 yards as a guesstimate.

OK, The Apollo is 1x, and the w-1000 is 3x right? Looking at the trees in the background the w-1000 doesn't appear to have that much magnification compared to the clarity of the apollo. You've mentioned before using the 1x6 with the clip on which I would assume would be a nice feature to zoom in a bit on a target after identifying the game on 1x. Are you able to do another test one of these nights of both scopes side by to compare the difference and post the picture or video results. Also, if the opportunity presents itself, pictures or video of actual game of some kind would be nice. I only ask because Im saving money for one, and am undecided between the two.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll try to get you some side by side of cattle at different ranges since they cooperate better!