Birthday Coyote

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went back to my friends house in MS to try to get one last "nice" buck to cap off this year's hunting season. Where he lives, the rut is usually centered around the first week of January so this year was my best chance to hit it right. Unfortunately, everyone else in my life thought I needed to do other things so I was left with only 2 1/2 days to try to make it happen. The first morning was a bust. Not a single deer sighted. Actually, not a single thing sighted. The fog was so thick, I didn't see anything till after 11:00. This unfortunate fawn killer thought he could stroll across my field of fire. He didn't make it. A 110 gr Barnes TSX did the job from 201 yds away.

The stand where I was hunting from is directly behind the coyote in this picture.

Yesterday, it seemed like an alarm went off in the deer's heads and said everyone get up and run around. Deer were everywhere. Again, nothing worth shooting but entertaining non the less. Then this morning, at first light another coyote walked right into the middle of our food plot only to receive another TSX to the boiler room.

OK, I know the rules (it didn't happen without pictures) but I'm telling you there is a dead coyote in my mind. Actually, he ran off and after trailing him for about 50 yds, he made it into some really nasty thick swampy stuff and I just wasn't into going in that mess for a dead dog. I still had a six hour drive home and with the amount of blood he was losing he couldn't have made it far. In fact, I went around to the far side of the tangle and didn't find any blood trail leaving the thicket so he can rest in peace in the middle of the swamp briars.

So, I'm ending my 2016/17 deer season on a positive note even though I didn't get a decent buck. 4 coyotes in MS was still a bonus.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry about not getting a deer,but coyotes are always good! Good shooting

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I never shot a deer this year or last year so don't feel bad Chopper! Nice shootin' on the yotes!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good coyotes down ... should help with the deer population for next season!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At least you got to get out. My buddy and I were making plans to head for the hills for elk again... until he was diagnosed with colon cancer. M'be next year. He's holding his own, which I'm most thankful for. Fine work taking down those yotes !! Most satisfying.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh yea...Happy Birthday Chopper!!!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah!!! I missed that part too ! Happy Boipday Kemosabe !!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get a 4 day license here for deer and extend your season through FEB

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Get a 4 day license here for deer and extend your season through FEB
The season still runs through the end of Jan in MS, but I have my second surgery scheduled for the 26th and I have to take care of things around home that I won't be able to do for two months. I did get two small bucks earlier in the season, so I'm not disappointed for not getting another deer on this hunt. If I do get to go back to MS before surgery, I will probably try to get some hogs. My last day there I found an area completely torn up by hogs very recently.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you better get over there in all this cold they will be huddled together ready to ambush! Good luck on the next surgery!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck on the next surgery, and physical terrorist routine. Will keep you in my prayers that all goes well, and a full/complete recovery w/o complications.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks RD. If all goes the same as the first, it will be a walk in the park. With the procedure my Dr uses, there isn't any physical therapy required. Just walk as much as I can which is something I do a lot of already. Thanks for the prayers though, I need them much worse than DJ. Twenty years as an Army pilot kind of put me in a prayer deficit.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"The past"... is just that. It reminds us of how we became who we are. What matters... is today, and how we walk forward. If we're walking in the Light, all's well. The ability to sing "It is well... with my soul..." is comforting.

Last edited: