Big Swine Story

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
How big? I can't tell you and here's why...

Last April we had this nice boar start showing up on the hometown trailcam almost everyday. We only had a green lawn chair set inside a juniper set 20 yards from the feeder...tight hunting! Right on cue this boar steps out and I'm shooting dad's, new at the time, LMT 6.8. He steps out, quarters to me, then sees my slight movement just as I fire on his shoulder with a Wilson Combat 95gr. TTSX. Before I can even swing on him he's back into the brush crashing through the juniper thickets.

No blood, no hair. We search that night and about 2hrs the next morning. Nothing. I'm pretty bummed out because the trigger pull felt perfect. Fast forward to Dec. 26th and I'm scouting for a new stand location. 90 yards from the feeder, and in the direction the boar ran, I find this moderately fresh pile of bones and a massive hog skull. Through one of the shoulder blades is a nice bullet hole.

After 7 months thinking I missed this pig at 20 yards, I finally got him. Who knows what he weighed, respectively in the 200's no doubt, but he's got the best cutters of any pig I've ever shot. Both measure 3 1/8" from the roots, no exaggeration. A fine swine. God is good.

Attachments

• MFDC00423.JPG
    MFDC00423.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 27
  • MFDC0433.JPG
    MFDC0433.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 30
  • MFDC0435.JPG
    MFDC0435.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 28

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
here's the recovered skull, unfortunately the whets were no where to be found

Attachments

• IMG_20141226_163837328_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141226_163837328_HDR.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 28

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you, those are nice cutters! I would say between 200-250, he was a big boy. Funny that close and never found him, smelled him, or saw buzzards there.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice to know you anchored him, congrats.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that is a nice one. Happens a lot with the feeder so close to a wooded area.

Just curious, how far was he from the point of you shooting him?

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
the pile of bones and skull I found approx. 90 yards from where I shot him (beside feeder)

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hog, sorry you couldn't find him sooner. Pretty cutters.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You aint kiddin, that was a dandy fo sure. Looks like he might have some close relatives though. Nice going. BANG BANG!!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the find! Those are some nice cutters!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome. That's a Hog!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
VERY NICE

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you found the evidence - he was a nasty looking fella.

Similar thing happened to my son (13 or 14 at the time) a couple years ago. He shot a big boar with cutters about the same size with a bow, from a ground blind no less, while deer hunting. We found the skull about 100 yds away that next spring. I told him not to do that from the ground anymore until he was old enough to be issued a sidearm, lol.