big sow

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Somebody hit a big one. We saw this one dead on the side of the road coming home from church. She is 250+and here is the fender off the truck.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow I like the spotted ones! You know they don't get hit that often compared to other animals especially the older ones.

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
She was a monster and right on the edge of town, just about 500 yards from the high school. I like the spotted ones. She had some chompers too.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs being low to the ground and solid, I imagine a passenger car would get some good damage.

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This hog would have lifted a car off the ground. I would hate to hit something like this.

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I saw a small car that hit two big pigs, one on each side of the car. There was at least $3K in damage and green poop all down both sides of the car. All of the people were OK but it certainly is a scary thing to have happen.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can only imagine what it'd be like cuttin' into one of those on a murdersickle. A buddy of mine cut a Golden Retriever in half with his front tire... the guy behind him saw daylight beneath both is tires... JUST before he got the pink mist shower. He never back off the throttle and rode it out... and didn't go down. No damage to his bike either.

Another buddy of mine just killed a deer with his Valkyrie, he bailed off at 60mph. Dead deer, totaled bike, a broken rib and stiff/sore. He wears good riding gear (Joe Rocket) that is Kevlar fiber reinforced.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see the aftermath from hitting game quite often, since I am a auto body repair tech. Front end hits are always expensive due to cost and quanity of parts.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I spoke with a hunting buddy of mine about hitting pigs, deer, etc. He is a tool man that services various auto and autobody shops. I then looked at information from a variety of news sources online. This is what I came up with (with his help).

According to his sources, the average cost for a person to hit a hog on a FM road or highway STARTS at about $1250 and goes all the way up to totaled. Some of the biggest expenses for even seemingly minor hits are airbag replacement because of airbag deployment during the collision.

The nice thing about hitting hogs over hitting deer is that if you just strike the animal, chances are that injury to the human occupants of the vehicle tend to be minor and often people are uninjured aside from the shock of the accident. As hogs are low down to the ground, the damage on the vehicle tends to be low as well. Vehicles still may be totaled, but because the damage is low, the vehicle absorbs most or all of the impact without involving the passenger compartment. Some of the most common injuries resulting from striking hogs were injuries from the airbags hitting the human occupants. In short, hogs tend to be hit from the grill and lower. As such, there is often lower bodywork, steering, engine, and frame damage that may commonly occur

Deer tend to be hit from the grill and higher. While most people are similarly uninjured or only suffer minor injuries from striking deer, because of their longer legs, leaping as they run, etc. deer impact higher on the car and can come through the passenger compartment through the windshield. This often results in serious injuries and sometimes in death. As deer can be at multiple elevations, you can have much of the same damage as with hogs, but generally it tends to be higher up. So a glancing blow of a deer up high on the passenger side may take out your headlight, quarter panel, and related body work, but down lower, when hitting a hog you end up with bumper, frame, quarter panel, and steering issues.

Those are all sort of generalities, but you get the idea that hitting a big heavy object down low can do nasty things to your vehicle, though you may be fairly safe. Hitting deer higher up may or may not do as much damage, but different damage, and if one animal is going to kill you, it will be the deer coming through the windshield.

Hitting a hog or a deer virtually never causes your vehicle to roll over. In every case that I found where either animal was struck and there was a subsequent rollover, the rollover occurred because control of the vehicle was lost and the vehicle (most often) left the roadway such as by entering a ditch or field where the wheel caught that resulted in the rollover. I do not doubt that airbag deployment was a contributing factor to the loss of control Several of the rollovers occurred without the vehicles ever striking the animals, but were again the result of a loss of control of the vehicle, usually during or after a significant swerve at higher speeds, resulting in going off road or hitting some sort of stationary object such as guard rail pylons. Rollovers often produce serious injuries at highway speeds.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good info! My friend uses his landcruiser as a hog battering ram! :eek:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had an Uncle veer to miss a dog in the road, he died in the accident. My Dad said never swerve to miss the animal hold the vehicle straight, do try to slow down and generally the animal will miss you...I have found that to be pretty true. A bear, cow or horse is the worst thing to hit for your personal safety.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had an Uncle veer to miss a dog in the road, he died in the accident. My Dad said never swerve to miss the animal hold the vehicle straight, do try to slow down and generally the animal will miss you...I have found that to be pretty true. A bear, cow or horse is the worst thing to hit for your personal safety.

Yes also good info Frank its crazy people will swerve into another car to miss a cat uggh. Small animal do not swerve, Large animals like cows are best avoided!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I skidded to a stop 2' from a horse, so ingrained were my Dad's words...LOL

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ask a long time motorcycle rider what to do when an animal jumps out. 99% will say dog or smaller pin the throttle. Bigger than a dog stay straight but brake for dear life.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
just drive this, blow it up before you hit it

hummer 1.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have always wanted a vehicle mounted weapon system for stoopid drivers, but could be useful for animals too!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just before I left for work two weeks ago, I talked to a buddy of mine. I'd stopped by his place (no one home) and emailed him to assure him it was me that he'd find on his security cameras. He was in Superior, WI... headed home on his bike. The next day, he was out in the middle of Minnesota on some road, when a 5-pt. buck came up out of the median. He got off the gas and managed to avoid it... but, had failed to see the 3-pt. that came up right behind the first one. Well... Mr. 3-pt. made a foolish decision and went into "fight" mode, lowered his head and charged. Same make/model bike that I ride, and he's about my size... so, we're talking about 1100 lbs. of bike/rider. Add a passenger to the back, loaded saddle bags, and pulling a full trailer too (single wheeled job)... this moment lacks zest.

Bambi impacted the left side rider's peg (sheared it off), bent the radiator (didn't leak), caved in the left saddle bag, caved in the left side of the trailer... and died. My buddy was at highway speed, took all three lanes of road to deal with it... but, got the bike stopped safely (without going down). At first, he suspected his leg was broken, but, it took weight when he tried it. His boot was filling with blood from a gash on his shin. His passenger was untouched.

Two "good Sams" stopped to help. One dragged the dead deer off the road and retrieved the peg, the other had a first aid kit and tended to his injury. Once he got himself composed, and the jelly-legs effect went away... he rode to the ER and got 4 stitches to his leg... duct-taped up the saddle bag and trailer body... and rode the bike home to Seattle (with passenger too).

I plan to stop in to see him this time home, awaiting the pix he has of the damage to the bike. He did some GOOD riding-through, and cashed-in on some GOOD luck for this encounter.