Big Bugs In Texas ...I.D.??

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by RattlesnakeDan, Aug 1, 2015.

1. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

So this giant bird size bug has been dive bombing me near my work area lately Small Targets 004.JPG Small Targets 005.JPG . I finally got a picture of it when it was carrying a very large cicada around and trying to drag it up an extension cord. Looks like a Bumble bee crossed with a velocaraptor?

2. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

It is aptly called a cicada killer. One of numerous large and solitary wasps. Normally they live in burrows in the ground and are non-aggressive, however if you piss one off enough, their sting is supposed to be FAR worse than a red wasp.

3. Wildfowler

Wildfowler Mis'sippi SUS VENATOR CLUB

The only one of those I've ever seen was in my childhood friends bug collection for high school. He had it pinned on a cicada (which just happened to be out that year) just like what's seen in that picture.

I've never see one alive before and am not sure he didn't import from somewhere it for his collection?

Pretty neat. Thanks for sharing this.

4. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

Pretty cool, going to have to build a trap for that!

5. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

May not wanna grab that one by the hind leg to put over the fence.

6. Curly Shuffle

Curly Shuffle LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

And from what I hear they will whack you multiple times!!!:(

7. rgilbert

rgilbert LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB

Yeah they are cool looking though. I used to see them all of the time, but not so much lately. Usually when the fly around you they are not after you, just looking for a meal.

8. Chopperdrvr

We see them around east tx fairly often. The largest ones (about 2 1/2") I have seen were in Japan. They were pretty common over there and scared the living carp out of people. Never heard of anyone who had actually been stung though.

9. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I grew up scared of them. Turns out, that was unnecessary.

10. Lancer

Lancer LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Same here, grew up thinking that was a hornet,and I was terrified! I've seen guys handle them since, not even slightly aggressive.

11. chthump

chthump LSB Member

Where I'm from, I call them Sand Wasp, because of there burrow, but the neat thing, raising cattle, I would see them hover above a cow that had a horse fly, and the wasp would drop down and nail the horse fly, then fly off into some local oak trees. When I was out spraying cattle for fly's I would always skip the herd, if I saw several of these buggers hovering around.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    BigRedDog and Galveston340 like this.
  12. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

He lives under a plow disc under my work bench outside. I'll fashion a small leash for him and see if I can get him wrangled up. It's like falconry but Buggery.
    The other day he was buzzing me a bunch and I finally whacked him one with my hat, knocked him to the ground and he never missed a beat, kept on rolling with no effect. Tough little guy.

13. Chopperdrvr

I think Buggery has a different meaning. :rolleyes:

14. RattlesnakeDan

I had to look that up. Lol That's messed up!! Lol

15. Chopperdrvr

Sorry, just didn't want you to stray too far off the path.

RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  16. Ratdog68

LOL... Proceed with EXTREME caution with that species.

First we had the T.B.P.S., now we have the C.K.B.S. too?

17. RattlesnakeDan

Cicada Kissing Buggery Society?

18. Ratdog68

Cicada Killer Buggery Society... (very carefully).

19. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I watched a nat geo with a wasp in the desert that would burrow. This particular species would attack a desert spider and sting it. It's venom would paralyze the spider but not kill it and then the was would lay it's eggs in the spider and take it down to its burrowed out home where her larvae would feed on the spider until they grow into wasps. Anyone know if these guys just eat the locusts or do they lay their eggs in em also

20. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Also, good to know they're not aggressive. They sure do look mean