Better chances in a stand or stalking?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I finally have my DIY night vision unit dialed in and was wondering if you prefer waiting for the hogs to possibly show up at a feeder while hunting from a blind, or, do you have better luck heading down a sendero or across a field..... ? I'll be doing some testing of my system in south Texas soon and am wondering if I should be covering some ground in addition to being stationary.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends on the hogs and the amount of terrain you have to cover.

Small areas. Wait.
Big areas. Scan and get on em.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends on your system as well depending on quality of image and bulk it may be better to be in a stand. Also depends on property size 100 acres a stand 10,000 acres stalk.

LSB Active Member
I hate sitting on my butt. NO ONE wants to stalk, but every time I get out of my stand early and stalk I shoot hogs. TBC when I get my thermal b/c my days of collecting dust on my nuts are over.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If it's open, I'd say look around.

We have too many pine trees here in SC for stalking. I can easily scan the open agricultural fields with my thermal which would be the only chance for a stalk for me. Hunting over bait is really the only option around here.

D

djones

my days of collecting dust on my nuts are over.
that should NEVER happen!

sometimes i stalk just for an excuse to hunt commando. on second thought, i hunt from a stand that way too

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
The NV rig I've made is capable of scanning up to 200 yards using a good IR light. I have it mounted on a Savage .223 bolt for testing for now. My buddies and I are in it for the hunt and sometime the meat as well. We are not trying to eradicate a population. The property is 150 acres in south Texas on the Nueces river. It is perfect hog habitat and game trails everywhere, but we just don't see numbers of hogs. I'm wondering if they have become wise to the feeders and are avoiding them. I'm thinking about spreading some corn in the sendero next trip down and see what happens. I can scan the sendero and monitor the feeder from my blind. I definitely agree that trying to pattern hog behavior or habits is a waste of time. Thanks for the replies!

LSB Active Member
that should NEVER happen!

sometimes i stalk just for an excuse to hunt commando. on second thought, i hunt from a stand that way too

so on that thought do you see any benefit to mimicking soured corn, but opting for sweaty nutz? i have no issues dodging the shower for a few days in point of fact mamasan is out of town sat-tues. this might be the best thing ever with the big north wind coming tonight i can for once use my scent to move down on a sounder and lure them in!

#innovators

D

djones

i just prefer to bang the dust off on a regular basis

wait a minute... that could be taken the wrong way.... forget what i said

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With questions like these, it's always nice to have an aerial view or a few ground-level photos so we can get an idea of your terrain, but it sounds like your ground is pretty crunchy – especially when things dry up for the summer.

Also don't know the specs on your NV gear - what magnification is it? 4x + is nice for spotting and identification purposes, but makes it rough when you're trying to use for mobility.

Consider setting up a dusk to dawn IR light at the feeder – this'll make it easier to monitor without having your IR beam being blocked by foliage when you're off the stand.

Stay or move?

A couple of thoughts:

If you do not have an immediate need for meat in the freezer or the short-term goal of fulfilling a landowners request to "eradicate" the hogs from the area...

Spend $35-$40 on a good set of audio earmuffs, and get out into the wild.

Because moving on foot with the headphones will help you in several ways.

First, you will improve your fieldcraft –
which is more valuable than technology in the last you a hunting lifetime.

When you realize how noisy you really are bonking around, you'll be able to take preventative measures.

These included securing or softwrapping squeaky or clanky gear, walking heel to toe and determining especially noisy routes.

If you don't have the time or access during daylight hours, you can clear debris from them each time you pass through - a couple of rocks or sticks at a time adds up (or, in this case, subtracts).

The headphones will also allow you (hopefully) to hear hogs before they hear you, possibly getting you a clean shot - which you're going to need with the .223.

Finally, it will help your familiarity and navigation of the terrain at night – which looks looks much differently through NV than during the day.

And consider setting a few bucks aside each month for a thermal monocular for spotting – it will be well worth it.

And the price is dropping every month…I believe SlimShady picked up a serviceable one recently for about $700. Not long range, but it sounds like you don't need it to go past 100 yards.

And you will be amazed at how much you can learn from little white blobs in a 1 1/2" screen.

Good hunting - keep us updated!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do both. I have a friend who has a lease. They sit in stands and so I am not out getting shot I have to sit in a stand and make the most of it, but really love exploring and being on the move most places i go.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup.

The feeder is your trotline.

Go hit the lily pads and sunken logs; return to check on it once in a while.

Last edited: