Best hog of my life ran away

neorubio

LSB Active Member
I don't know what happened yet. When I heard it, it was coming from my left and too close to allow me to move. I was sitting under a tree so I decided to shot it without getting up. First shot should have killed it. The other three...a disaster. I am not used to the bolt action of my .308, moved too much, took me too much time to reload. It's good for long shots but not for this. I will have to check zero again because that first shot looks well placed. Another strange thing is that the hog seems injured but couldn't see blood anywhere. I took my two hogs and was looking for it for 3 hours with no luck. Entered the forest and was impossible to follow. You can see the captures just before and after the shot and when it was running with its leg broken.

Attachments

• video_067_1 (00.00.41.633).png
    video_067_1 (00.00.41.633).png
    327.9 KB · Views: 11
  • video_067_1 (00.00.41.666)2.png
    video_067_1 (00.00.41.666)2.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 10
  • video_067_1 (00.00.50.600).png
    video_067_1 (00.00.50.600).png
    333.4 KB · Views: 11

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hog Hunting!
I caught one this morning that was 25# and had his leg blown up at the ankle a couple weeks ago and he was running with the others. crazy tough.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What was the distance of that pig and what caliber, ammo and bullet were u shooting?

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Crazy things happen.
Keep After 'Em!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just a guess, broken leg but no blood anywhere on a singular large hog....

My guess is that you broke the humerus under the shield (boar) which sealed up, the bullet did not over penetrate, so no exit wound.

The shot was likely fatal, just not immediately fatal.

neorubio

LSB Active Member
What was the distance of that pig and what caliber, ammo and bullet were u shooting?

Around 40 yards, 50 tops. .308, Hornady SST 150gr. The same I killed the last hog with at +200 meters. I've killed hogs and deer +300 meters with this rifle and bullet, I really like them so far. My friend is trying to talk me into a softer bullet.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought it was a 200 yd shot

neorubio

LSB Active Member
Just a guess, broken leg but no blood anywhere on a singular large hog....

My guess is that you broke the humerus under the shield (boar) which sealed up, the bullet did not over penetrate, so no exit wound.

The shot was likely fatal, just not immediately fatal.

It's a very good guess. A pity I'll never know, but this is how it is.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Rats. That’s too bad.

Around 40 yards, 50 tops. .308, Hornady SST 150gr. The same I killed the last hog with at +200 meters. I've killed hogs and deer +300 meters with this rifle and bullet, I really like them so far. My friend is trying to talk me into a softer bullet.

I wouldn’t try a softer bullet but you may try a heavier bullet. I use the 165 SST in my 308 with good success. Passes through all but the biggest hogs.

For me, I think the 150 SST may be a little too explosive at 308 velocities to pass through reliably on hogs. On deer and yotes however it’s a sizzler!! But so are the 165’s.

Good luck to ya.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Decent size hog ... always next time! Happy Hunting!

jglass

LSB Member
I'm finding out hogs are not that easy to kill. I thought it was a long shot but I hunt in Florida where shots are 30 yards. I have a
Pulsar XQ38 and missed some easy shots. Always next time. I liked the video

neorubio

LSB Active Member
I'm finding out hogs are not that easy to kill. I thought it was a long shot but I hunt in Florida where shots are 30 yards. I have a
Pulsar XQ38 and missed some easy shots. Always next time. I liked the video

Thank you. I went to check if its zero was fine and it wasn't. I had zeroed it 1 centimeter high at 70 yards and hit 4 low at the same distance. I have zeroed it 4 times already, tried in two different rifles...I think it's the mount. I'm taking it to a gunsmith to try to get it fixed.