Best day scopes with pvs-14

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aside from a holographic sight, what are some good day scope choices that pair well with a pvs-14? Looking for something that will work well as a day scope with some magnification, and also have the ability to gather enough light and give a good FOV when used at night with a pvs-14 clip on. Been looking at these but don't know which would be a better option to use with the pvs-14..
Vortex razor HD 1-6
SWFA 1-6
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 with tritium "crosshairs"
Leupold vx-6 2-12x42
And a few others.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd opt for the Vortex Razor HD 1-6. Buy once, cry once. And, the scope remains faithful, and doesn't complain when you're hangin' with friends.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Look at the Trijicon and then look at the Vortex. Both of them are good scopes but one of them are or seem better when looked through. You will see the difference. BANG BANG!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You do know the pvs-14 is not a clip on and has to be behind the scope not in front right? Traditional scopes can be used with a pvs-14 and a adaptor but then the day scope is mounted way to far forward for day use. A pvs-14 with the pv-14 3x magnifier behind a red dot type optic is your best choice. Or a clip on in front of the day scope but again the pvs-14 is not a clip on..

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
++1 on what TLM said. To me, very awkward.

Actually the PVS-14 was never designed to be weapons mounted.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the responses.. and yes, TLM I am aware. Sorry, when I said clip on, I meant used with the pvs-14 adapter that connects the -14 to the ocular lens (back) side of the day scope, not the objective (front) lens side.
I had Ok results with the pvs-14 properly mounted behind the ocular lens on a 3-9x40 leupold vx-r using the -14 adapter as far as the picture and field of view go.
But it seemed like the field of view and picture weren't as good when I tried the same set up with a vortex viper pst 1-4x24.

I'm looking to replace the pst 1-4x24 with another day scope (not holographic/red dot) that can/will work with a PVS-14 better than the pst 1-4 does.
I was wondering if I would get better results with this set up using a scope with a larger objective lens like trijicon 2.5-10x56 or maybe the clearer glass on the vortex HD 1-6 would be that much better when used with NV???

I have an eotech Xps-3 and a -14 usgi 3x magnifier for the pvs-14 along with a CQBL IR laser on a 16 inch 7.62x39 upper.

12.5" 6.8 spc with thermal on top

16" 7.62x39 with eotech/pvs-14/usgi 3xmag/ CQBL IR laser

16" 6.8 spc with.. I'm thinking..trijicon 2.5-10x56 accupoint...

znztivguy

LSB Member
RIP your PVS 14.... Eventually the weak cables within, will fail because of the recoil and your life will be void of one part of your Nightvision Kit.
Seen it too often. Has happened to 3-4 of my buddies. I would recommend you stop.... Unless you get a buffered one.....

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Mine failed from being mounted on a weapon. SteveR did too. If this is your only option proceed with caution and nothing over a 223. Unless you have a recoil rated PVS.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes it's an autogated Omni viii rated for the above calibers mentioned.
Would the vortex razor HD II 1-6, be a good option to use with the PVs-14??

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I prefer any scope with a side focus, and good eye relief It makes it easier to focus everything. Keep in mind that you need to get a GOOD IR illuminator. One that no visible red light is showing. That will educate your hogs real quick. I use an adjustable stock so I can use the rifle during the day by shortening things up.

znztivguy

LSB Member

You know its not the intensifier that you have to worry about right? Its the surrounding electronics that are not buffered for recoil.
If you proceed....don't say we didn't warn you.
The rating is a false sense of security when it comes to the PVS14 format being used on a firearm. I would call an expert.