Berger VLD and Sierra BTHP .308 168gr Powder Question

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
.308 Winchester - Alliant calls for PowerPro 2000-MR 48.5C for 168 grain Sierra BTHP. Would I be safe using the same recipe for Berger 168gr VLD?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
unless the berger has to be seated a lot deeper into the case you should be fine

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Thanks, I'll try some today. BTW are you referencing seating for Berger because of the compressed loading for the Sierra?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
no, because VLD's tend to be longer by design.

OAL is still the same limit to load in a magazine. Hence the need to seat deeper.

if this is a compressed load, I ain't helping. don't like the risk involved to the loader

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
good info, thanks (I'm also a little concerned about compressed so I will pass on that, thks)

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
no, because VLD's tend to be longer by design.

OAL is still the same limit to load in a magazine. Hence the need to seat deeper.

if this is a compressed load, I ain't helping. don't like the risk involved to the loader
Found source that said compressed loads can be treated as max loads, reduced 10%, and used. I tried it with the Bergers and they worked fine. Only thing is my 7400 seems to be happier with Silver Bear 140 grains than Berger 168s...