Bell on your pig pipe or barrel.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I learned about this from a couple if old hog hunters this weekend. Put a cow bell on the end of your pig pipe/ barrel. When the hogs roll it you can hear the bell.

But that's not the neat part. You keep another cow bell with you in your blind. When you ring the bell hogs hear it and think another hog is eating at their spot and come running in.

I have not tried this yet but they swore by it. In going to try it. If anyone else does let me know!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna put a barrel together this week. I will give this a try. From what I can tell on my game can there are two different sounders coming to my feeder.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I learned about this from a couple if old hog hunters this weekend. Put a cow bell on the end of your pig pipe/ barrel. When the hogs roll it you can hear the bell.

But that's not the neat part. You keep another cow bell with you in your blind. When you ring the bell hogs hear it and think another hog is eating at their spot and come running in.

I have not tried this yet but they swore by it. In going to try it. If anyone else does let me know!
Hmmmm.... one smart cookie.

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting concept. I might give this a try just to see how it works.

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is interesting, I can hear my barrels 200yds away and further sometimes but the bell would be a signal like a feeder going off but louder. I like it and will try to get that set up for testing. Dinner bell for the hogs, this could be FUN!

Cheap and a long distance rating, how about that?? http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/speeco-cow-bell-long-distance-10ld

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bought my long distance bells to install yesterday, Tractor supply keeps them in stock!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm going to try it also. Problem I have is the time between getting out there my pipes are empty before I can get back and fill them. I need to try the barrel.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is why I went to the barrels and very small 1/2-9/16" holes and only 2 of them, when I do go out I throw some corn around the barrel to entice them. Dave I believe, told me about chicken scratch instead of corn in my plots and it does keep them there longer and they did not root, starting to put some sweet feed in the troughs when I don't have scraps.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a couple of old blenders that I got at yard sales for $5 or so. I throw in some dry corn,dog food,any el cheapo cookies and blend it into a "scratch". I pour just a couple of cups full into my roll bbls and it meters out through any sized hold plus it puts out tons of smell.

I have also been adding some catfish bait to my stink corn and it...........stinks. --- pruhdlr

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great ideas. I have used chicken scratch before but I never thought about making my own.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, not sure where I got the idea but thanks anyway! I know having them on the barrels instead of a pipe keeps them out of the mud a bit better and sounding a little louder.

Harris hawker

LSB Member
Pavlov's dog theory.
Very interesting.
Use a whistle in falconry for the same response.
Been used for centuries by humans too.
Dinner bell mean anything???

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
I put out a pig pipe about 3 weeks ago. I had a few issues with it and its back together and working great. I checked it today and you can easily see the huge circle they have made pushing it around. I moved trail cam over to it and put it on video made. It should be interesting to watch...

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that should be great on video