Beavers Down!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven't seen hogs of late on my properties and the landowners aren't reporting any problems, but I did get two calls in the last week about beavers backing up stock tanks and causing flooding in areas that need to remain dry. Of course, the problem with hunting beaver is the body recovery. I don't swim out after them. So it comes down to looking at the video. Sometimes a good "hit" turns out to not be quite so good and the beaver is seen swimming away merrily after the shot. Sometimes they get hit and immediately sink, never to be seen again. So confirmed kills can be tough to call, sometimes...

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looks like a lot of fun! Good shooting!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At 2132's shot, it looked to me like chunks flew off to the right... and more behind. I'm likin' that one for a confirmed.

Damage their dam, and they will come to make repairs.

A leaded treble hook, cast out, MIGHT net you a recovery, if that's important to your efforts. Good killin'.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Interesting!
Got a beaver problem where I hunt, and the landowner says "Get 'Em!"

Given that they're swimming, and therefore probably indicating about the same temperature as the water, do they show up well on thermal?
On your videos you show them after you've already got them spotted. Are you looking for heat, ripples in the water, something else, all of the above?

Keep After 'Em!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
New location where beaver have a lodge and have dammed the drain to the dam, causing water levels to rise higher than the landowner would like...

Back to the original location at the top of the OP. Here, I scouted out a new place this week that would allow me better opportunities to shoot beaver on the other side of the lake, only to find that the prime spot was occupied...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I take it coyote wasn't on the hit list in the first video. Otherwise, good shooting.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ohhhh, that must hurt a feller's feelings... giving a pass to a pair of prairie poodles like that !! Good killin' on those lumberjack rats.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Shooting! Couple of years ago I had a pair of river otters getting the fish in the pond beside my house. Lots of fun hunting them. Those beavers look like they would be a good challenge too.