Beavers and Coyote

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I have this buddy that heard I had been dealing with beaver at my folks place who asked me to help with his pond. The beaver are damming up the overflow channel and causing unwanted flooding. I said sure. I have been shooting (at) beaver one day a week for 6 out of the last 8 weeks. We go down and sit by the pond and wait for the beaver to come cruising by. Initially, I was not happy with the results. The shots looked good, but the beaver would sink and that would be that. About 1 in 4 would thrash and splash real good to confirm a hit.

Last night worked out real well. Shot at 4. Hit 4. Got video on 3.

Went across the road to check on the hog situation and despite having rained that morning, I did not find any hogs, but did run across a coyote.

Checked my other places. Nothing moving but deer.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like you plugged that last beaver in the snout, and he was struggling to breathe. Good clutch of beaver on that outing. Bet you have a floater soon.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and nice haul ... I wonder what comments you'll get on other forums. ; )

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Drilled the beaver, and whacked a yote - doesn't get any better than that !

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So, do you ever sleep?
You are a hog/coyote/beaver whacking machine!

Keep after 'em, and keep the videos coming!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went back to the beaver pond last night. I have been there 6 out of the last 8 weeks and shot (at) beavers ever time until last night. None were swimming last night. I am thinking the population is way down...which is good. Makes for a boring night, however. Then no coyotes or hogs showed up either.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went back to the beaver pond last night. I have been there 6 out of the last 8 weeks and shot (at) beavers ever time until last night. None were swimming last night. I am thinking the population is way down...which is good. Makes for a boring night, however. Then no coyotes or hogs showed up either.
No floaters seen/reported? Sounds like good things happening.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not knowing the layout of the land, I'd imagine that eventually the carcass will float and wind will inevitably push it to shore. At that point something is going to consume it.