Barnes 6.8 85gr TSX initial results.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well Its been crazy busy here the last couple of months filming with all the different companies. So no alone time to really test these 85gr TSX bullets out the way I would like, but here are my initial results.

First boar was well over 200 pounds most likely over 250 but no scales to confirm so I'm being conservative. He was about 60-70 yards and took a center shoulder shot that completely penetrated both shoulders dropping him in his tracks.

The second pig hit was only about 40-50 pounds he took a shoulder hit and ran about 50 yards before dropping go figure. He would be the middle hog in this pic.

The third hog a 180 pound'ish boar was running away and took three 85gr tsx, and three 120gr SST's and was found dead the next day over 300 yards away.

Hogs 4-7 were average 100-120 pounders all dropped right there or within a foot or two with shoulder and neck shots.

Boar number 8 was about 100 yards away took a neck shot that exited out the opposite shoulder dropping him instantly.

Pair of coyotes were taken at around 200 yards dropping instantly.

Hog number 9 was another average young boar 150ish pounds with a shoulder shot DRT.

Hog number 10 took what sounded like two hits on the run and was not recovered.

Hog number 11 took a neck shot going down DRT.

Hog number 12 took a rear end shot at about 120 yards which imobilised him he was finished off with a 45acp he only made it about 15 yards from where he was hit.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hog number 13 was broadside with his head and shoulders behind a tree so I shot him in the rear which spun him around exposing his front he then took a chest shot going down dead.

Hogs number 14-15 the mother sow took one to the right eye, and the piglet took one to the shoulder along with a 120sst gut hit.

Hog number 16-17 another sow and piglet the sow took a neck shot dropping DRT the piglet took a 85 tsx to the shoulder and two 120ssts at the same time so who knows lol.

There have been 6 coyotes killed in addition to these with good results. And another 12 hogs but these hogs were hit by multiple shooters so its real hard to tell what killed them. It is easy to tell the Barnes exit from the other bullets though it makes a perfect little exit every time. So far all kills have been complete pass through's with no recovered bullets.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I seem to recall good reports of the 85 TSX, and being a favorite before the 95 TTSX and 120SST were brought to market. Nice to hear they're still capable killers.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I seem to recall good reports of the 85 TSX, and being a favorite before the 95 TTSX and 120SST were brought to market. Nice to hear they're still capable killers.

I prefer the 85 to the 95 so far I had troubles with the 95's opening up the 85's do not seem to have that problem.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I prefer the 85 to the 95 so far I had troubles with the 95's opening up the 85's do not seem to have that problem.
That's interesting bc aren't the TTSXs (95s for 6.8) advertised to expand at a slower velocity than the TSX (85s for 6.8) line??

I thought the TSX bullets were designed to expand at higher speeds down to like 2100 fps and the TTSX were designed to perform at speeds down to 1800 fps.
Then they specially made the TAC TX for the 300 wtf caliber to expand as slow as like 1600 fps??

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for sharing all the field data btw!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Yes my hunting partner uses the 95s and I have recovered 2 of his bullets with very poor expansion. He has also had 3 runners recently with pass through vitals shots, one of them went a good 80 yards.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use the 110TSX and all were DRT small exits but devastating. Most were pass throughs with good expansion on the few recovered.

So TLM, so far what is your conclusion on the 85TTX?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's interesting bc aren't the TTSXs (95s for 6.8) advertised to expand at a slower velocity than the TSX (85s for 6.8) line??

I thought the TSX bullets were designed to expand at higher speeds down to like 2100 fps and the TTSX were designed to perform at speeds down to 1800 fps.
Then they specially made the TAC TX for the 300 wtf caliber to expand as slow as like 1600 fps??

Yes that is what we were all led to believe. But my experience with the 95 tsx was if it did not hit something very solid bone ect it just zipped through. The 85 tsx seems to be outperforming the 95gr so far but this is still a very limited test. Im getting in one hunt this month but in may I hope to start hitting them hard again.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Busy man! But always have time to put down them hogs ... ; )