San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job!!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I do believe that is a TTSX.........anyway........I am in the process of giving the .308",130gr TSX a try outta my 16" 308Win driven at a modest 2850'ish.

I would surely believe that the TTSX 130's would do the job even at the reduced vels of the BO. Wondering what Barnes would say about these outta a BO. Remembering that some expansion is better than no expansion but not as good as total expansion.

Talking bullet expansion....there are literally TONS of variables. --- pruhdlr

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you think 130gr are a little light for a 308? I love to shoot 165 to 168. Nosler or Barnes using Varget with Lapua brass and CCI primers. My POF 308 loves them. I have not loaded a lighter bullet so I can't say it would not like them as well. Just asking.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I believe that the 130's are entirely appropriate for the 308Win in certain hunting conditions,hunting certain game. Allow me to interject that the above gun I was talking about is a Ruger M77 MKII Compact. My app......hunting the smaller NW Fla deer and the mid sized hogs.

Compare the 130gr 308Win to some of the other chamberings that seem to be entirely appropriate for this game. The 120gr 7-08 or 7mm Mauser, the 100gr 243,the 120gr 6.8SPC,the 87-100gr bullets in the 25-06,etc,etc. I have even switched to the 120gr in my 7MM Rem Mag.

Not intentionally trying to create a s*it storm I will say that with the speciality bullets that have come along ....... you can "go small". These bullets are the "H" Type,Partition,solid copper,and the solid copper with polycarbonate tip. TO ME......the >150gr bullets in .308" are more appropriate for the bigger deer(275+lbs on the hoof),black bear,elk,caribou,sheep,and like game. Especially at the longer distances >300yds. These animals are typically taken at longer distances(bullet velocity?)than hogs.

I would think that most any game animal in north America can be killed quickly,cleanly,and humanly with a .308" 130gr solid copper or partition that starts out at 2850. Would a 150gr be mo-bedda ?? Possibly. With the lighter bullets I also am liking the trajectories. --- pruhdlr

Eddy Gein

LSB Member
Barnes actualy makes a bullet specificly for the blackout.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/blog/2012/02/09/new-300-aac-blackout-barnes-products/
If you use the regular TSX or TTSX with lower powder charges the bullet will not perform as desighned because of the density of the copper.
The blackout Barnes bullet is made from softer copper that allows for better expansion at lower speeds.
Now as for bullet weights a 130 Barnes is comparable in size to say a 165 bonded type bullet.
If you try to run a heavier bullet in a solid copper you can run into feeding & chambering problems because of extra length. Especialy in an AR.
Also keep in mind Barnes likes to run .050" off the lands.
Component availibility sux right now but I bet if you could find some you would get way better performance out of the blackout specific bullet.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
To each their own...however...I am not standing around waiting for this "majical/myistical" bullet to reappear in availability. The mutterings I have overheard are sometimes after the first of the year they "might be/could be" around in limited quantities.

If you scour the web you can find them every now and then in the factory Barnes loading for close to $40 per box. I'll pass. Barnes makes several other 110gr bullets that could possibly be good ---> great for the BO at it's closer ranges if kept >1800fps or so. You can start them out at 2400'ish. The ONLY thing you will loose with these other bullets over the black tips is your humane kill range.......and that is waaaaaay out there. I will run any bullet as fast as possible/accurate. --- pruhdlr

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Necessity is the mother of all invention!"
When I found 4 boxes of the 130's this fall I grabbed 'em.
Distance is an issue but I'm night hunting under 50 yards.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I please ask: 1. What distances could you be shooting with your BO where the distance could be an issue and 2. Are those distances farther than the BO is capable of,given ANY bullet ??

IMO.....being as realistic as possible,the BO is a 150yd HUNTING gun. A S T R E T C H could be to 200yds. Given that,absolutely ANY common sense bullet should be going fast enough for expansion.
Common sense bullet ='s a bullet of <131grs,with a makeup/tip/hp cavity,etc.designed to open at the slower velocities. We need to keep in mind that the bullet launched by a BO will be going the same speed as a bullet launched by a 300 WinMag...AT SOME POINT.

Also,would we all not agree that a bullets expansion does NOT have to be like we all see in the manufacturers pictures in order for it to kill effectively and humainly. What is the magic percentage of expansion needed ??? 80% 70% 50% ??? I really do not know. Soooooooo....If the bullet is going 200fps UNDER what the manufacturer has stated for max expansion,at the range it hits the animal,pick a percentage from the above. I can't. At what velocity under the manufacturers listed velocity will there be NO expansion ?? I can't even venture a guess at that one.

Barnes stated re. their bullet #30834 ---> " This bullet is specifically designed to function at SBR(short barreled rifle)velocities for use in the 300ACC Blackout,300Whisper,30Remington AR & all short barreled 308Winchester rifles". Sounds to me like Barnes is stating these bullets will expand correctly at the "slower" speeds. While this bullet is of the 110gr TSX design,this seems to me like a great alternative to the unavailable Black Tips. I have some and will be trying them in the near future. --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

My research shows that once the 130gr Barnes reaches 1500 FPS, it will begin to fail. Your initial muzzle speed will determine the max distance your bullet can travel before hitting 1500 FPS.

With my set up muzzle speed is 2150 FPS. At 170 yards it reaches 1500 FPS. Meaning I would probably limit my shot to 150 yards.

But since I hunt at night at night. 50 yards is my max.

Eddy Gein

LSB Member
"My research shows that once the 130gr Barnes reaches 1500 FPS, it will begin to fail. Your initial muzzle speed will determine the max distance your bullet can travel before hitting 1500 FPS. "

WTF????

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Muzzle velocity 2150FPS max shooting distance before bullet fails is 300 yards
image.jpg

Muzzle velocity is 1900FPS max shooting distance before bullet fails is 200 yards
image.jpg

Muzzle velocity is 1700FPS max shooting distance before bullet fails is 100 yards
image.jpg

I'm not a huge app fan but this gives you an idea in theory.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for that vid. I tried to obtain some of the TTSX vs the TSX in both 110and 130gr for my tests and I could not find any. I am stuck with the TSX in both bullet configurations.

To me the differance in bullet makeup is a "no factor" coming outta my 308Win and my usage in the BO(Handi)will be at the closer ranges. Another plus for the longer 130's in the Handi is that I can seat closer to the lands. I am shooting for .050" off.

APP's ---> I have been using STRELOK for some time now and have found it right on at even the longer ranges. --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... you could just put a sabot on a .223 Barnes and get a little more velocity... (Sorry, it was just too tempting to not).