Ballistic gel Test Remington 405gr SP and Cast 405 gr FP

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had to test and evaluate some weapons and ammunition with the FBI a while back. I know its a hard job but someone has to do it. After all the official shooting was done we had some blocks left over so I got out the GBL guide gun and tested my pig loads. First was rem 405gr SP with WLR primer and 41 gr H322. My speer book put this at 1285fps from 22" barrel. I got an average of 1522fps. Second was a 405gn FP cast bullet I bought at Southwest Ammo Supply same primer same powder.

1. 405.gr Rem Sp 28" penetration 1st round. / 29.5" penetration 2nd both held 100% weight average diamiter was .852

2. 405gr Cast FP 1st shot 54+" Had three blocks penetrated all three. 2nd shot 53" very little expantion all weight retained.

Here you can see the awesome wound channel from the SP below the second one I changed the colors so you could see better.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man... I'm surprised that SP didn't do more damage on that hog you hit in the neck. Expansion to .852 is impressive !

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man... I'm surprised that SP didn't do more damage on that hog you hit in the neck. Expansion to .852 is impressive !

The pic was the entrance wound! the exit wound was softball sized! I could put my fist in it and touch no meat!

Last edited:

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The pic was the entrance wound! the exit wound wast softball sized! I could put my fist in it and touch no meat!

I gathered those were "goes-in-ta"... and with "goes-out-ta" as big as that... I'm still amazed it kept getting up.

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shoot a lot of 405 in my 458 Socom. My load is doing a little over 1600 fps. The one thing about the 405 is it like to shed its jacket. It still penetrates and expands to the size of a quarter. I have killed over a hundred hogs with this bullet some close to 300 lbs and I have only recovered a half dozen bullets. I am using the 300 TTSX now but they are expensive so I will probably go back to the 405.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have no complaints with the remington 405 sp. They are accurate in my rifle, and effective on game!

JamesB74

LSB Member
Hmmm. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. My Speer book showed 42gr H322 starting to 50gr max. Starting 1542fps. I am starting with 46gr,46.5,47,47.5 since they are in between the max and min.

Are you sure that load is for the Marlin gun or the older actions? Or did I read your post wrong?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmmm. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. My Speer book showed 42gr H322 starting to 50gr max. Starting 1542fps. I am starting with 46gr,46.5,47,47.5 since they are in between the max and min.

Are you sure that load is for the Marlin gun or the older actions? Or did I read your post wrong?
I got the 405 up to 1900fps but performance was better for me at the lower speed.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have killed a few hogs with my Marlin 1895. My bullet of choice is the cast Performance 405gr WFNGC. It penetrated a shoulder on a close to 300lb boar and the bullet shattered the shoulder on the far side. Then it went thru a 3" pine tree.

No jacket to shed,wide meplate,cuts a good hole going in that will not close up.....great bullet. --- pruhdlr

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a box of 405gr for the socom but I traded them for the 300gr Remington's. I like the velocity of the lighter loads

Pitbull

LSB Member
I had a box of 405gr for the socom but I traded them for the 300gr Remington's. I like the velocity of the lighter loads
Have you tried any of the Nosler 300gr. BT's? I'm hoping I can find a load with these that are as accurate as the 300gr. Remington's.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have yet to try them. I should order a box and do some testing

JamesB74

LSB Member
I have killed a few hogs with my Marlin 1895. My bullet of choice is the cast Performance 405gr WFNGC. It penetrated a shoulder on a close to 300lb boar and the bullet shattered the shoulder on the far side. Then it went thru a 3" pine tree.

No jacket to shed,wide meplate,cuts a good hole going in that will not close up.....great bullet. --- pruhdlr
Actually this is the bullet I have. I have them loaded up as notes earlier and am going to shoot them this weekend. See what they do numbers wise. Then hopefully get a shot at a hog soon. I have to find a bunch of hogs. There are to many things I want to shoot them with.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
INFO --> If you want to recover a bullet,better plan to shoot thru more than 5,1gal milk jugs. Mine comes out a 16" bbl Marlin at max fast. I have also shot them out of my 20" Katahdin bbl on my T/C Pro Hunter. --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got the 405 up to 1900fps but performance was better for me at the lower speed.
This is what I've been reading too. Designed to chug along... and penetrates deep. A different train (no pun intended) of though from what we're used to with the 6.8 round.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that's what I love about my 458 socom. its a big fat slowish bullet. like the 45 auto. just tears everything up and does a lot of damage

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My favorite part about shooting hogs with the 45/70 was I picked them up and body slammed them!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
my first socom i had when i was in vegas. i used it on a coyote out there. he was running in at an angle and i hit him in the neck and it went all the way through his body. it was an awesome site to watch him go from full sprint to face planted and rolling. that big fat bullet it so devastating. i love it

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Marlin Levers.jpg So I guess I should break out my Marlin .450 and start playing with it again ;)