Baiting new property

Spencer Moon

I’m pretty new to hog hunting, have done a bit of reading here and on Facebook groups and watching Todd’s vids on YouTube.

We have a group of hogs (30-60?) on my uncles farm that are pretty active here in north Texas outside of Dallas. We never see them in the day, and there’s plenty of signs of them in the creek beds and in the thick woods. There probably about 30 cattle on the property that roam around, not much deer activity. My cousin and his friend have hunted the property occasionally but haven’t put a lot of pressure on them. They have identified some of their trails in the thick woods and have setup a feeder/motion light in the woods close to the creek bed with a 20 yd shot.

They also have a tree stand in the woods by another heavy traffic trail with a salt lick 15 yd from the tree stand. Lately they’ve been pretty active at this site which we recently baited. The night we were in the tree stand they came up behind us but must have spooked as they got close to us and turned the direction.

Even though they are frequenting these trails in the woods my gut instinct is to turn off the feeder in the woods and bring the food source to barely outside of the tree line. I’d like to get a section of telephone pole soaked in that chemical y’all recommend next to a bait barrel and motion light. At first I’ll make it extra stinky with the bait recipes I’ve seen here.

Would you recommend a few bait barrels set up so I have a few to check along the property at night? Or would you focus on one spot to bring them to?

In the photo you’ll see the hog feeder in the woods on the top right, the salt lick/tree stand in the woods botttom right, and then there’s a 3 man deer stand that looks over the open meadow labeled DS

Attachments

• 7A15BD5D-9E5B-4805-8829-7E14FC3F6CC2.jpeg
    7A15BD5D-9E5B-4805-8829-7E14FC3F6CC2.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 18

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Are you bow hunting? Otherwise 15-20 yards is dang close. If rifle hunting, and the terrain allows, I'd move back at least 60 yards from the feeder.
I'd also make absolutely certain that the shooting position is downwind from the feeder.

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What optics are you hunting with? What gun are you hunting with?

Spencer Moon

Hunting with ARs, I have a 10.5” 300 blk and 16” 6.5 grendel, red dots, 1-4x, ATN 3-14 NV

That’s the setup that my cousins have, yeah I feel like they’re really close and we’d have to bring the hogs out in the open to get a longer shot. My NV would do much better out in the open too

Spencer Moon

Are you bow hunting? Otherwise 15-20 yards is dang close. If rifle hunting, and the terrain allows, I'd move back at least 60 yards from the feeder.
I'd also make absolutely certain that the shooting position is downwind from the feeder.

I live an hour away from the place but will start to make semi frequent trips up there.

Silly question but is there a way to look up online what direction the wind most commonly blows in a certain area?

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I live an hour away from the place but will start to make semi frequent trips up there.

Silly question but is there a way to look up online what direction the wind most commonly blows in a certain area?

Scout Look Weather's app. It's a few bucks but WELL worth it!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ventusky - Wind, Rain and Temperature Maps

If it is one group they might not split up, but in saying that dang sure that is what they will do. It would not hurt to put two different places out kind of give you two good places to check instead of one and you might draw some more in. Set it up out in the open so you can try to get them away from the cover and get a couple more shots to whack the snot out of them!!:) Best of luck to ya! BANG BANG!!

Last edited:

jglass

LSB Member
I would keep the bait presentation simple. Here in Florida I dump a 2 gallon pail of cracked corn. The hogs show up at sundown.
I rigged up a bait pipe, pretty much a waste of time although the raccoons enjoyed it. Also a scratching pole that they used. These days I'm not sure wind is a factor either. The hogs seem nervous and know I'm out there but can't resist the bait. Your experience may vary.

Bossiermd

LSB Member
Another trick Homebrewer taught me is to make a sour corn hole, if you don’t mind the hogs making a small area of rooted up ground. I have placed mine by the edge of the field, within 10-15 yards of the feeder to be able to get a shot at each area, and minimize any damage to improved pasture. I use a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket, half filled with corn. Add 2-3 teaspoons of yeast and warm water to cover the corn. Put a top on it and let it sit in the sun for a few days. You may have to add a little more water and yeast in a day or two as the corn absorbs it. The longer it sits the better! Dig a small hole with post hole diggers to put the sour corn in and you’re in business. This seems to attract the hogs a little better than dry corn alone.