Bacon Jam

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
....I guess I need to ask that another recipe forum be made as I am limited as to where this ought to go, but this works pretty well on almost anything! Made this one with some Chocolate Habanero's I grow and it's killer!

Ok here's how to do it:

Yields about a pint.....

1 pound smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic chopped all to heck
1 medium onion, same thing
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon hot sauce or what you make yourself according to heat you can take
1 cup coffee ('Orleans Style!)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
Hot peppers to taste
Certo
extra water

In a dutch oven, fry the bacon in batches until lightly browned and beginning to crisp. Pull it off and throw it on a paper towel. Drain all the grease out of the pan, but leave the drippings and a little grease. Fry the onion and garlic in the rendered bacon fat on medium heat until translucent but not too hot.

Have a Beer...

Add the bacon to the onions and garlic, and add the rest of the stuff except for the water. Add your hot peppers that you have seeded. Simmer for 2 hours adding 1/4 of a cup of water every 25-30 minutes or so, and stir regularly.
Once it's cooked down add your Certo so it will set. Be sure and follow the directions on the Certo so it will set your jam

Have a beer....

Jam is done when you cant tell the onions from the bacon. Cool it down for about 15-20 minutes and then place it all in a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds so that you leave some texture to the jam. Refrigerate up to two weeks.

I've been thinking about using some of these knock your socks off peppers I have been growing down here in a batch too.

....this stuff is pretty darn good!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That qualifies as "on the hoof" with the bacon.

Sounds like Yum ! Only thing missing are some good cat head buttermilk biscuits... hot out of the oven. Or, some fresh/moist corn bread.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
awesome