ATN Thor External Battery Adapter

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Just got in from Ultimate Night Vision an external battery adapter system that replaces the battery holding compartment with an external rechargeable battery. Was getting about 4-6 hours on the best CR123 batteries but run time is quoted greatly longer with this set up. I wanted an alternative to CR123 batteries . I hunt 3-5 nights a week and wanted to save a little $$$. Tyler at Ultimate Night Vision was up to speed on this and shipping was fast !!! Use at your own risk, of course, but I have about 8 hours on the unit and it still shows almost a full charge. My thermal unit is about 3 years old on a gun trade and thermal was out of my price range without trading something. It is an ATN Mini Thor 2X 320 30mm 60 HZ and is responsible for untold death and destruction to the coyote and hog population out to about 200 yds.

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
cool. thanks for sharing

always good to expand run times AND save money

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What batteries doe it take?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right but what batteries are you using, know they are rechargeable.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, will it possibly take the 18650's?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
when you put 2, 123's end to end, I believe you can substitute 1 18650? not sure, Dave will tell us.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
i own a atn thor. i get my batts from battery junction for under a buck each. if you are using the energizer brand i can imagine how much you are paying for the batts. question is ... why ??

the batts that i use(non-recharge) are 1400mah and will run my unit an honest 6 hours ... and ... i use the NUC feature more than most. find someone that will split a larger order with you and you will pay closer to $.90 each. --- pruhdlr

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good idea

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pruhdlr is on the right track. I've got the same scope as the OP (at least for now, it is for sale) and with 3 of the Titanium Innovations CR123 at $1/ each, I too am getting an honest 6+ hours out of a set of three.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
when you put 2, 123's end to end, I believe you can substitute 1 18650? not sure, Dave will tell us.

Can't do. CR123's are 3v each and the 18650 is 3.7v. Having two CR123's in series would yield 6v, so dropping them in replace of a 18650 or a 18650 in place of two CR123's is no compatible.

Not sure how the UNV battery pack looks, I know the Thor takes normally 3 CR123's and the Zeus/Apollo take 2. Assuming all in series, that makes the Thor run off of 9v and the Zeus/Apollo 6v. However not necessarily that they are connected that way on the Thor. I know the operating range of the Zeus/Apollo is 4.6-6.5v I believe.

I wonder if the Thor can take voltage in through connector used for video, etc.? The Armasight does. There is a Vdd in for the Zeus. I made my own combination cable that does both video to the DVR and supplies power to the Zeus using two 18650 batteries with a regulated output. Not sure how long it runs, really long lol with good Panasonic cells:

156755086.jpg

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Thor battery compartment is circular with 3 CR123's at a right angle to the scope. The substitute battery compartment screws into the same hole with only a plug in the middle going out to the rechargeable battery. A friend emailed me and said this solves his problem of his Thor shutting off after every shot of his 6.8 SPC which evidently was dependent on the length of the CR123 batteries. This eliminates that problem completely.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
i have used 4 different brands of cr123 batts and my thor has never shut itself off. none of the different types were the "high end" batts that you buy in a drug store.

has anyone ever measured the cr123 batts to see what different length they come up with. i have two different brands available on the shelf aat if anyone needs the e to e lengths i could supply that. --- pruhdlr

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Thor, at least mine, will work with one, two or three CR123 batteries installed, so I assume that it operates at 3 volts. One 123 battery will run it for more than an hour and a half.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
yeah ..... my owners manual states that in a pinch it can be run on 1,2,or 3 batts. i have never tried it though. that is good to know although i carry my spare batts in small tubes of three. on a typical hunt i will have 3X3 batts.

i used to install new batts before every hunt. i do not now. i will start a hunt with limited batt power because it is so easy to change them out in the fields/woods. usually out and back in,in under 1 minute ... in total darkness. --- pruhdlrSANY0066.JPG

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Thor battery compartment is circular with 3 CR123's at a right angle to the scope. The substitute battery compartment screws into the same hole with only a plug in the middle going out to the rechargeable battery. A friend emailed me and said this solves his problem of his Thor shutting off after every shot of his 6.8 SPC which evidently was dependent on the length of the CR123 batteries. This eliminates that problem completely.

But what I'm talking about is running power in through the same connector you run video out. It is an 8 Pin connector made by Binder. Don't need any batteries in my Zeus as I supply it from the battery pack through the connector.