ATN Thor 640 HD vs Armasight Zeus 336

Bocephus

LSB Member
I know there are reviews here on these individually, but I wanted some input on this exact comparision.

I have an opportunity to buy a Thor 640HD for a pretty good price. I currently have an Armasight Zeus 336, 60HZ. I have zero complaints with my current set up (aside from the battery, but I fixed that). The performance seems to be exactly what I was looking for and want.

BUT - with some of the features of the ATN, it has me questioning if the upgrade might be worth it. For example, the ATN has blue tooth, and I can run the mirror option so people hunting with me could watch whats going on, on an ipad. I currently run an LCD screen for people with me, but there is a cord connected. Also the ATN has a range finder, where my Zeus doesn't.

Next, the ATN is a 640, where my Armasight is a 336. Now.... Here's my hang up with that. Last summer I went hog hunting with a buddy who runs a 640 Zeus. I could not tell a difference between my 336 vs his 640..... So not really sure I care about that upgrade or not.

Guess my question for you guru's is, are those upgrades I mentioned before worth upgrading too. And how will the ATV perform against my Zeus.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I've read the horror stories on here about ATN's customer service, so I am weighing that heavily.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would think getting into a 640 would be worth it but I don't know if I would go the ATN route. I had an older Thor and it was solid as a rock but I have a buddy who's had to send his new thor in twice for stuff breaking on it. I can't personally say on the image comparison but I'd bet the 640 is a much better picture. I'm surprised you weren't able to tell the difference in the 336 and 640 Zeus. I certainly saw a big improvement when I upgraded to a 640 from a 336 Zeus.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have heard great things about the older generation of the THOR but the new ones all I have heard is less than good things...ATN Thermal is OFF my list unless it is given to me.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had Terry's old 2015 model Thor 50mm 640 and it was one of the most reliable thermals I've had. Only dislikes were lack of some of the adjustments I have available on my Armasights. All in all it was very good though.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep that 2015 THOR was a solid scope. I've used the new 640 50mm THOR HD model and the Zeus 42mm. I like the Zeus construction and controls better, but the THOR HD 640 core plus the newest firmware updates are to much for the 336 core to match image wise. Now add a 640 core to the Zeus and I will take it anyday vs the Thor HD.

Bocephus

LSB Member
You all seem to be pretty aligned that the Thor would outperform my 336 then.

Is ATN's customer service that bad?

I've had to use Armasight's customer service twice now since owning my scope, and they were amazing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ATN has some of the worst service I have personally seen...maybe is due to most of their production being made in china??

D

djones

milkdud said he uses a thor and he seems to kill plenty. although it debatable as to whether it was really him or cletus making the kills.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cletus shoots one of the old Thors as well, but he's scared of the dark and of pigs, so he doesn't kill much unless he's sitting on BR's lap in the truck shooting out the window!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I am still uding my ATN ThOR 640 50mm 3X that I bought in 2012. Not a single problem except the batteries seemed a little loose in the holder. Now I wrap two layers of clear tape around each of them and they sit in the batt holder without movement.
Has everything that I want/need in a thermal except a easily used range finder. --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is gained from a 640 core? Is it just the quality of the image? Meaning its a more defined image?
Higher resolution mostly. Think of it like watching a movie or watching a youtube video. its like changing it from 360p to 720p.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It just looks better. There's all kinds of technical stuff to it but all in all the higher the resolution the better looking the image will be as you see it. Also, a 640 will give you a useable digital zoom, i.e. 640 at 1x 320 at 2x 160 at 4x, etc.

znztivguy

LSB Member
Never use a Insight, BAE OASYS, Knights product....once you do....you'll fall into the dark side...and will not ask what's the difference....you'll know....and it will haunt you...
(my humble opinion)

ATLSteve

if it were me I would hold off, I think some new 640 stuff may be coming and at some better pricing..
I was told pulsar has a new unit coming for between 3-5k and test reports were they were nice...

Keep in mind this is what I was told and I have NOT seen them myself