ATN Thor 336 3x 30mm vs ATN Thor 320 4.5x 50mm

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone have experience with both or either of these?
I'm thinking the higher magnification would cause a smaller field of view on running hogs but the 50 mm lens would negate that, right?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I may be wrong but the larger lense just lets more heat into the sensor for better detection. 3X would give wider field of view than the 4.5x but 4.5x shouldnt be too bad just shoot at 60-70 yards not 40 ;)

Aquatic_Robotic

I had very similar questions to what you have. I had a chance two weeks ago to look at several ATN thermals and a couple others. The difference in the 30mm and 50 mm lens really needed to be looked at closer. I am supposed to get a 336 3X in 30mm and a 336 4.5x in 50 mm this week to try for a couple days. I may not get a chance to post up for a few days after I give them a try. As soon as I can I will post my "newbie" observations here. Personally I think I will prefer the 50mm lens, but not sure till I get to try them side by side.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks aquatic. Il keep my eyes open for your results.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The larger lens will not negate the viewing angle difference simply by being larger, or maybe not without being significantly different in size, but they aren't. It is larger and has more magnification. So...

Your FOV on the 3x is 9x7 degrees

Your FOV on the 4.5x is 6x4.7 degrees.

The greater magnification has a more narrow FOV.

I think that to have more magnification and yet still have a greater or equal FOV, you will likely have a fish-eye effect which is not considered desirable.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My experience has been less zoom is better at night. Unless you know you are going to avg 100 yard shots and up.

Hope that's helpful.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a brand new 336 3X used it 5 hours last night. I also considered the 336 4.5X model my hunting buddy has one it's very nice also. Personally I like the 3X better for my use the wider FOV is real helpful for shooting under 50 yards and shooting out to 200+ yards shouldn't be a issue. The bigger FOV helps a lot on moving targets if you get into a group of hogs and open up. With the 4.5X model I get a small tunnel feel under 50 yards after that the 4.5X rocks really shows its stuff out past 100 yards.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My opinion would be this for deciding between the two scopes if zoom was the only issue.

If most of your hunting is hogs inside of 150 yards, and especially inside of 75, then the 3x is probably the better choice. You can bump the magnification once and go to 6x (with half resolution) and it will still look 'okay' for shooting and that will take you out to 200 yards or more just fine, not that you could not reasonably shoot that far on 3x alone.

If most of your hunting is hogs 75 yards and further or is mostly smaller game, then the 4.5x is probably the better choice. While you can bump up zoom, you can't bump down (and I don't know why they don't have that feature because it could be done in the firmware just like zooming).

ATN does make a 3x with a 50mm lens, If you can afford the larger lens on the 4.5x, I would suggest that if you like the 3x better, then get the larger lens. As TLM noted, the bigger lens is better when it comes to gathering light or radiant heat energy.

http://www.atncorp.com/atn-nightvision-thermal-weaponsight-thor-320-3x-60hz

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
If you're sitting in a stand like me most of the time, the higher powers are great. If you do spot and stalk, lower powers are the way to go.

I'd you can afford it, go worth the thor 320, 3.5x, 60hz, 50mm, that's seems to do about anything you would need.

I've said before, for hog hunting you can get away with a 160 scope, just your detection range is greatly reduced.

Armasight will also be putting out some 100mm scopes shortly. Which will give a good choice for hunters etc. ATN used to have more of a selection, not sure their reasoning for narrowing back, maybe they just looked at what they sold and only producing those.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does 60 Hz make a big difference when hunting over 30 hz 30 vs 60 seems like the most minor difference from what I've seen so far. Is that correct?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, but as with lens size, resolution, etc., more is better, but then more for hz eats up the batteries faster supposedly, but it is probably only a fractional difference. If you go with an external power supply, then that isn't an issue at all.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok here are the specs and info i gathered on these THORs. The 30mm lens on the 336 3x was steering me away but i like the wider FOV and the price point.. especially since it supposedly has the same detection ranges as the 320 3.5x.

microblometer Magnification Lens Detection (human) Field of View (VxH) approx price
ATN THOR 320 3.5x 50mm 1100m 9x7 $ 6200
ATN THOR 320 4.5x 50mm 1300m 6x4.7 $7000
ATN THOR 336 3x 30mm 1100m 9x7 $5000
ATN THOR 336 4.5x 30mm 1500m 6x4.7 $6700

Last edited:

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 336 models use FLIRs newest 17 micron core so you need less lense to get higher mag /image detail to the imager. That's why you have the 320 50mm 25 micron core 3X with 9 degree FOV and then you have a 336 30mm 17 micron core also 3X with 9 degree FOV.

You have the 336 3X listed at 15 degree FOV that is the old 30mm specs for the 2X model. I owned that one so know it well, The newest 30mm is 9 degree FOV and yes having owned the old 30mm model and now the newest 30mm model I can see the difference.

One factor that may or may not matter to you is overall system size. The 30mm lens model is super compact I really like that fact.With the 50mm you get more bulk up front with the bigger 50mm lens.

The 336 3X is priced very well for what you get that's why ATN sales lots, lots plus lots more of this model. It's a good scope 3X just works well close or at normal distances.

How far do you normally shot? Buy a scope for what you do 90% of the time. Don't buy a scope for that rare 10% and handicap yourself the other 90%.

Last edited:

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i was hoping to get something with some detection range for spotting them farther out and then transferring the scope back to the gun for the shot at 20-100 yards.. but also have a wide enough field of view to effectively see and make shots on runners

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Reading that info tells me the 336 30mm 3X would be a good pick for you. First its small enough size and has enough FOV that it works well hand held for viewing.

Second the detection range on a hog sized critter is over 1000+ yards, I've personally spotted a group of hogs around 825 yards ( laser ranged the next morning) with my 336 3X this week.

Shots from 20 yards out to 100 are easy with the 336 and don't forget you can use 2X zoom which while cuts the clarity back does give you 6X to help pin point shots at longer rangers. 4X zoom isn't the best on a 336 core it's pretty blurry but sometimes may help you also I don't use it very often myself.

Having used the 4.5X model(Last night again) It's the king for shots out past 100 yards' but a handicaps on running targets or close range shots. If you said your average shot is 150-300 yards I would say but the 4.5X for sure it's better at long range.

Last I don't know where you plan to buy my dealer told me try the 3X a day or two hand help (don't rifle mount it or return fees apply) if I feel I need the 4.5X send it back for exchange no questions asked.

Aquatic_Robotic

someone asked if there was enough difference in the 336 and the 640 ATN Thor. the biggest difference I saw in the two units was the speed of the processor if you swung both s very rapidly like you were tracking an animal close range. the 336 did not seem to have a clear picture if I moved it very rapidly while the 640 had an extremely clear picture no matter how fast I swung it. just an observation and bear in mind that was my first look at any thermal scopes.

just got a call from my dealer and he is supposed to have two units for me to look at this weekend. I hope to be able to compare a 336 3x 30mm

Aquatic_Robotic

Ok mistake on my part. I'll have a 336 3 X 30 mm and a 336 4.5x 50 mm to compare. I have to travel for a wedding Saturday so he is going to let me keep them until Monday. this should give me two nights to really have a chance to make a good comparison and the 336 3x 30 mm is a demo unit that I can mount sight in and shoot. the 336 4. 5 X 50 mm is a new unit and he does not want me to mount it up and shoot it unless I decide to buy that one. I totally understand that.

I hope to post some good feedback and comparisons here Monday evening.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
should take one to the wedding

bring back pictures