ATN 'detection' range

robininni

LSB Member
I find this insulting. ATN claims their ATN THOR HD 1x scope can 'detect' out to 600m. This claim's fineprint is that at 600m you get 1 pixel per 1m of height. So, to detect a person at 600m, which ATN says this scope will do, you would have to notice 2 pixels out of 640x480 (307200 pixels)! This same claim for 'detection' is similar on all of their scopes. This seems absurd. You get a whole 8 pixels per meter size for 'recognition' at 280m. So I guess you can recognize it's a human at 280m using 16 pixels height by maybe 2 or 3 pixels width--again, out of 307200 pixels. Seems ridiculous to base distances of detection, etc. on these type of scenarios.

Bocephus

LSB Member
I can't get into those specifics like you, because I'm a rookie and don't understand it that well. But what model Thor are you referring to that is 1x? Is it the 19mm 384 thor?

I only ask because I just sold a Thor, and have two other buddies that have them, and 600m for detection is easy. But if you a referring to that 19mm sight, I have zero experience with that one.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I find this insulting. ATN claims their ATN THOR HD 1x scope can 'detect' out to 600m. This claim's fineprint is that at 600m you get 1 pixel per 1m of height. So, to detect a person at 600m, which ATN says this scope will do, you would have to notice 2 pixels out of 640x480 (307200 pixels)! This same claim for 'detection' is similar on all of their scopes. This seems absurd. You get a whole 8 pixels per meter size for 'recognition' at 280m. So I guess you can recognize it's a human at 280m using 16 pixels height by maybe 2 or 3 pixels width--again, out of 307200 pixels. Seems ridiculous to base distances of detection, etc. on these type of scenarios.

It is not an absurd claim and you can often very easily detect 2 pixels out of the display. As long as the hot object is significantly different in temperature than the objects around it, you can do it with a single pixel. Part of spotting hogs or coyotes in high grass or heavy vegetation, or finding a downed hog often is made on a very tiny initial detection. I do it all the time.

You can't be lazy about all this, but vigilant in your scanning. When I spot a pixel or two that have appeared in my FOV that were not there previously, I will often concentrate on the spot to see what, if anything emerges. One or two pixels may turn into a mouse, rabbit, skunk, coon, coyote, hog or rock. You never know. It is what can turn a goose egg hunt into a success.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I agree with Brian and don’t think that claim as far fetched at all.

I did a test using a standard gallon milk jug full of 105° water when I left the house and set it out on the road and drove away from it as far as I could to test my ability to detect the object using two thermal devices I had with me at the time. My FLIR vue pro 19 mm 640, and my IRD Mark two 35 mm 640.

The flir is mounted inside a go light on the roof of my truck and it’s hooked up to my laptop computer sitting on my dashboard and I use it to navigate with. I was a astounded to discover that I could detect the milk jug to just over 800 yards.

Here is a YouTube video and the actual digital video file created by the FLIR Vue which gives a better detailed image then when I was seeing on my computer display.

For what it’s worth, I could detect the jug with the IRD out to 1200 yards which is as far away as I could drive on that particular test range.

New folder - Google Drive

You may have to download the Google Drive file for it to play but it is a little bit of better image than the YouTube video.

I have been told that detection consist of 3.5 pixels. My FLIR with 19 mm lens has a field of view of 32°. At 400 yards I should be down to one pixel yet, I was able to detect the jug at twice that distance as seen in this video.

The intersection in the road that you can see when I pass it is approximately 550 yards away from that jug.