Article on thermals and night vision.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
The vertical battery pack on the REAP2 is a big plus. Virtually wipes out the recoil/weakened spring issue that some have had with the REAP1s. And the Mk2s/3s could use the vertical battery pack as well. But they don't have it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why do you think the reap is better than the IR Hunter?
I dont I actually prefer the Hunter. They got that wrong. What I said was I prefer the trijicons for their resolution.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good article! Pular and Trijicons get my vote as well.

znztivguy

LSB Member
The commercial products out there... still cannot compete overall with the robustness and ergonomics of the milspec from a decade ago.....

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The commercial products out there... still cannot compete overall with the robustness and ergonomics of the milspec from a decade ago.....

Yes, but the milspec from a decade ago was 320 resolution and just didn't have the image quality. They were more robust, no doubt, usually heavier, and were in the $20-30K range. What I find interesting is that of the former military that I have taken hunting who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan, they are blown away by the capabilities of what we are using to hunt hogs. None of them got anything thermal at all. Many had night vision, but no thermal.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, but the milspec from a decade ago was 320 resolution and just didn't have the image quality. They were more robust, no doubt, usually heavier, and were in the $20-30K range. What I find interesting is that of the former military that I have taken hunting who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan, they are blown away by the capabilities of what we are using to hunt hogs. None of them got anything thermal at all. Many had night vision, but no thermal.

Same here I get to take the various teams hunting for training and such for time to time. Most are amazed by the equipment. Only the top tier teams get the really nice stuff, most are bought on contracts that keep them using equipment way past its prime.