Armasight Zeus review-D grade to date

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Well, I picked up a Zeus 336, 42mm in 60hz a few weeks ago for my week long trip to Oklahoma over Christmas.
The evening we arrived, I put the scope on my *** 6.8 and was able to scan large expanses for the first time since the scope was purchased. While not as clear as the ATN 640 I had rented (that was expected), still seemed like a great scope for the money. Saw a lot of dear and a coyote that got a free pass due to rifle not being sighted in to scope.
The next day following the 8th shot of me fine tuning the sights, the scope went mostly dark. That evening, I was able to see targets but everything else was dark and lacked any background detail making shots (in my opinion) unsafe. Adjustments to brightness had no impact other than bleeding out display.
After having armasight return my call, they tried some long distance troubleshooting. We had to eventually perform a factory reset which also reset my boresight to zero.
The scope was performing better for a day or so, then, even with brightness turned all the way down, the top part of the screen will wash out irrespective of the thermal signature of what is being viewed (cool trees, grass.....). Sometimes it will do this as scope is being slowly scanned, sometimes it just does when I am stationary on a target. It usually goes away after a few seconds.
In addition, the reticle will fade considerably at random times. Sometimes the whole reticle, sometimes just part of it.

The upside, even though Armasight doesn't answer their direct line much, they will return a call when emailed and they were helpful. Additionally, even though Delta4-3 didn't sell me the scope, he also tried to help. Also, the scope is easy to use and sight in.

I am clearly very disappointed in having very little useful scope time over the course of the week, I would expect better from something that set me back a couple of mortgage payments. However, I am not going to totally give up on Armasight without giving them the opportunity to make it right. Before buying the unit, I had plenty of knowledgeable people tell me good things about the company. I remain hopeful.

Dan

Navygator

LSB Active Member
On a side note, despite heavy damage to the property out there before I arrived, hogs have been scarce. Nothing seen over the week (when scope was usable) and only one lone boar on game cams. For all the acreage, they love rooting up right next to the house and along the drive. We cut the grass shorter there and I am guessing that does something to the roots or something.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting. Part of your problem sounds like high humidity issues. That is going to happen regardless of the scope. Reticle fade is not something I have seen or heard of with these scopes. That is bizarre.

You rented the scope or you bought it?

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Purchased. The first problem was all scope as the factory reset bought back to life. You think the washing out is humidity related?

Edit: Humidity last night was around 40-45%. Wash out was pretty bad.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Washing out can be from humidity if you watch my last video the detail goes away with humidity. The reticle should not wash out. I've uses several zeus and apollo scopes all demo units that have seen heavy use . I had one do what you explained screen went dark but after the reset it was fine.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
TEXASLAWMAN, only the top part of the screen was washing out and it did it when humidity was in the 40's. 45 degrees and 40% humidity, I was expecting a pretty good picture.

I am assuming I got a lemon at this point.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also do you have a DVR to record it with so we can see? Almost sounds like a bad screen if the reticle is diming.

I know this won't make you feel much better but even a few toyota land cruisers fail right off the lot and they are one of the most expensive, and reliable machines made. It just sucks when you are the one get a bad unit. especially when they cost so much.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Sorry, no dvr yet.
I am actually not as pissed as you would think, maybe age has softened me. I will remain calm and see what Armasight does.
I would also prob be more upset if hogs were around, but they are scarce this week.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I feel your pain, I am sure they will get it worked out to your satisfaction and soon.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
If you can't make the perfect gadget, then make the perfect team that can fix it if it breaks. I've had some device problems (I have 4 Armasight devices), some requiring returns, and all have been fixed to date. The only service issue was after the first return, the mail back to me was "slow boat", whereas Aaron and I send everything around 1-2 day. But we learned to "ride them" on the return shipping and that problem has not happened again. Apparently Armasight actually has enough departments that they sometimes have issues communicating with themselves. It is more than two guys in a garage!!! :D

Hope you get squared away soon.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Sorry to hear Dan. One thing about humidity, it is really strange. I had humidity one evening at 81% and the picture looked better than another night when it was 45%, don't ask me why, its just the way it was. Not sure if it has to do with wind or what. I was only looking on the weather app on my phone, so that may have made the difference.

As for washing out you were describing, so if you tilted the scope up and down it would still be washed out on anything on the top of the screen? If that's the case, sounds like something on the top of the screen.

Are you speaking with Andrew at Armasight? Great guy, but limited to what he has available. They do have good customer service, but things are just slow. As mentioned above, slow to get things returned, but they will make it right. Luckily your need is mainly when in Ok, so have time to send it back in.

What I would do is get a return authorization from Andrew, make a list of everything that is wrong to put in the box. They will take down a general issue statement on the phone, which will go on the RMA they email you, but put a detailed one in the box. Making a video and posting on youtube and sending them the link with the issues will help identify the problems.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Dave, that is interesting about the humidity. There was a heavy mist in the air last night, close to 100% humidity I would guess. The unit performed about how I would have limited, more limited range but not bad clarity.
Did not have a washout issue last night, maybe because so little thermal sig was making it to the scope?

Still no dvr though. Hard enough for me to justify spending that much on a scope I only use a few weeks a year.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Is it Andrew at Armasight you're dealing with? Don't tell him you know me lol, then again that might help because he'll hope I don't call him.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Dave, right now I am talking with Stephen. Yesterday was my last day in OK. Reticle was OK but scope bloomed/whited out a lot when I slowly panned or moved rifle up or down slightly. Definitely something wrong.
Spent most of the evening looking for hogs, no joy. However, my wife was driving back from the neighbors and a large boar walked in front of the car about 30 feet in front of her. She actually said it sauntered as if to mock me. Go figure.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Waiting to hear back from armasight. I am guessing they took some Christmas vacation.

Just my opinion but for that kind of cash I would be calling everyday. They will be closed tomorrow but monday should be open.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
very disappointing to hear this

Dry Creek

LSB Member
Had problems with the mount on my Zeus and Stephen was great help. Turn around was about 10 days back in May 14 and the problem was completely resolved.