Armasight - defective unit and comparison

KIBarrister

good morning,

I’ll try to make a longish story short. Spent about a month looking at thermals and ended up purchasing an Armasight Predator 640 (60h) from Opticsplanet. Fast forward to two weeks ago on the first trip out to the range, and after a few rounds of recoil, the image washed out (from shockingly clear as it had been). I called Flir and then went through troubleshooting and came to I had a defective unit - but rather than send it back to them and wait a month or so they suggested exchanging with OP because it should be faster. Called OP and they agreed, shipped it back.

Fast forward 10 days to yesterday and OP sends me an email that the predator will be many weeks before is shipped and offered to send me a Zeus 336 (60h) 3-12. Now that was the other unit I was originally considering, because of the 3x optical zoom, but I picked the predator for the higher resolution. Now they have me thinking if maybe 3x zoom might be worth the step down in resolution. Use is hunting, most shots about 100, but I want the ability to shoot out to 300.

I can’t find a direct comparison between the predator 640 and the Zeus 336 anywhere. Can anyone help? I’m just concerned about loss of res on the Zeus - but my understanding tells me the 3x will look at least as good as 4x on the Predator?