Armasight Clip On

Wayne

LSB Member
Hello, I'm thinking of upgrading my Zeus 3 × 42 336 to a Apollo 640 42mm clip on, anyone have one of these that could give me some insight. I'm interested in knowing how much magnification you can use and how the view through the scope compares to a dedicated rifle scope. Thanks in advance.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The view will not be as nice as a dedicated scope. Most scopes are 2-4x optical magnification where as clip-ons are 1x. So 1x 640 clip-on with scope at 2X is close to a 320 res image where as a 640 scope with 2x optical magnification will still have a 640 resolution.

So your current scope is 336 at 3x. A 640 clip-on at 3x will has less resolution than you current scope. Dedicated are much nicer and I know because I ran a LWTS, which is the best thermal clip-on on the civialian market in my opinion for 2-3 years. I know have a dedicated scope.

Wayne

LSB Member
OK thank you, what would you say a upgrade would be to what I have now? I like the pulsar trail in 640 but I'm put off by the low magnification, I generally have to shoot on 2× now so other than scanning I can't see the advantage. Thanks

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So you are on 6x with the Zeus being 3x optical and you're on 2X digital/zoom? If this is the case you are basically using a 240 resolution system, if everything stayed the same except upgrade to 640 you will notice a big improvement. Also look for scopes that have a higher native magnification like 4-5x. Trijicon has the MK III 4.5x-35x 640 res and Armasight has the Zeus Pro 4x-32x 640

Wayne

LSB Member
So you are on 6x with the Zeus being 3x optical and you're on 2X digital/zoom? If this is the case you are basically using a 240 resolution system, if everything stayed the same except upgrade to 640 you will notice a big improvement. Also look for scopes that have a higher native magnification like 4-5x. Trijicon has the MK III 4.5x-35x 640 res and Armasight has the Zeus Pro 4x-32x 640
OK thank you for the information!

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Take a look at the OMIR 100 clip on system by Razorback Hunting Systems. You can zoom to 16x if that is what your scope max zoom is and the picture is great.

Fla_dogman

LSB Member
I have the 640/42 Apollo scope. I use it as a dedicated scope now scraping the idea of switching between rifles. Every time you pull it off it has to be re-zeroed. It works fine but expect the POI to change with zoom. I've got mine set zero on 2x and it hits fine on 4x but 8 and 1x won't hit the target at 100yds. Field of view and clarity are great, judging distance is a challenge due to no mildots. Also get an extended battery pack, you'll be glad you did.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A legit upgrade off that would be a Trijcon Reap-IR or a MK3 60mm for longer distance. The reap for size, weight and image quality is real hard to beat. It's also real expensive. I'm also a really big fan of the Zeus Pro 50mm and the new Pulsar Trail XP50.