AR15 Barrel Extension Lug Peening

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
While cleaning my 12.5 *** barrel Franken gun I noticed some leaning on the rear of the barrel extension lugs. It mildly concerned me because it means something is a little out of time or spec.

The cam pin slot, cam pin, and BCG to upper fit control the alignment of the bolt and barrel extension lugs while the BCG is going forward feeding a round. As the BCG goes forward and strip a round from the mag the round is trying to push the bolt back. Because of the tolerances involved sometimes it can cause the bolt to over rotate slightly and misalign with the barrel extension lugs. In turn the bolt logs with slam into the back of the barrel extension lugs and will result in these little peened or raised areas.

An AR15 isn't supposed to do this, but can get away with doing it a little. As long as it isn't sever or impeding forward movement of the bolt as felt while hand feeding it or during operation. Personally my pictures below are about the limit I would want. Thus gun has had 500+ rounds through it with a suppressor and adjustable gas block on it while hunting. I hope my discovery and slight research will help someone else.

20151008_213621.jpg 20151008_213800.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does not look like things are gonna last long doing that.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I posted this same thing over on the 6.8 forum. Constructor replied saying it was from the impact wrench rattling the extension on the barrel at 120 ft lbs. I guess I didn't notice it when it was new. There are zero marks on the front of the bolt lugs so it makes sense that it is NOT from the bolt.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hmmm, well guess he should know

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What is the fix if you find that on a barrel? Dremmel tool?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What is the fix if you find that on a barrel? Dremmel tool?

Noting to fix if it cycles properly. Unless the cosmetics of it bother you.