AR experts I need help

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey guys I'm hoping someone on here can help me out a little.
Just got through putting together a AR308 using mega MATEN receivers and a Mega 18" barrel and a red barn armory BCG. DPMS buffer tube,buffer, and spring that is all for AR308. After going to test fire and zero it I noticed a few pieces of brass started to show pressure signs. I was using Winchester 150 grain soft point factory ammo so I wouldn't think I'd see pressure signs.
Is the bullet too light for the gun? Or do I have a issue somewhere on the gun?
I haven't got to try other ammo yet but I'm kinda thinking it was just junk ammo because it wasn't every shot that did it. Just the last 3-4.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 24

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Primers don't look flatted at all to me which you usually see with high pressure. Call me @214-945-5520 cause I have more questions and maybe I can help you with your issue.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just now saw our reply. I'll give you a call tomorrow sometime if that's ok.
Talked to a smith and he thinks it's out of timing. So I got a adjustable gas block on the way. Read a long article talking about it and how it causes swiping and primer issues and it explained exactly what I have going on.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Looking at your brass, gassing may not be the issue. We can chat also if you don't figure it out. Send me a PM and I'll give you my number.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got it all taken care of. Talked to an armorer who got me fixed up. Thanks though for yalls offers of help! Gun shoots good now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 8

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got it all taken care of. Talked to an armorer who got me fixed up. Thanks though for yalls offers of help! Gun shoots good now.
Well, don't leave us hanging like that, lol. What was the issue!

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, don't leave us hanging like that, lol. What was the issue!
Adjustable gas block pretty much solved it all. That and some better ammo. I'll probably end up getting the JP bolt and a heavy buffer too so it'll completely fix it.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Adjustable gas block pretty much solved it all. That and some better ammo. I'll probably end up getting the JP bolt and a heavy buffer too so it'll completely fix it.

With the adjustable gas block you won't or shouldn't need to change buffers.

It comes down to how it is gassed. Unlock of the bolt/carrier seems to be your original issue is high pressure.

The brass also is getting hung in the chamber by your pictures, so appears it isn't unlocking soon enough, which normally would be too little gas, but not always.

So look to see where your brass is landing to determine if you are over or under gassed. Also, how dirty is the brass?

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With the adjustable gas block you won't or shouldn't need to change buffers.

It comes down to how it is gassed. Unlock of the bolt/carrier seems to be your original issue is high pressure.

The brass also is getting hung in the chamber by your pictures, so appears it isn't unlocking soon enough, which normally would be too little gas, but not always.

So look to see where your brass is landing to determine if you are over or under gassed. Also, how dirty is the brass?
I should have posted pictures of the brass after the block. Hardly any marks on the sides from the chamber. Just normal marks.
The primers look normal now and has just minor swiping here and there.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup. First adjustable block I've had. Now I want one on all my ARs lol.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have adjustable on all my guns I shoot with suppressors. Others I mainly use regular gas blocks if they are a standard caliber. On my wildcats I use adjustable.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have adjustable on all my guns I shoot with suppressors. Others I mainly use regular gas blocks if they are a standard caliber. On my wildcats I use adjustable.
My blackout suppressed doesn't have too much blow back. But my 556s do.