AR Chambered In .30-'06

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
6x45 if you have to have the 5.56 case. 6.8SPCII if your just wanting to stick with the AR15 platform. PRI mags allow you to load to 2.295-2.305. 10 min with a dremmel and I can make a cheap 10rd ASC load 4rds at 2.38.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A 223AI shooting a 70gr TSX out of a 20" 1:8 twist bbl would be "interesting".

At the stated 110yds a 300BO with a 130gr TSX started out as fast as possible would be no slouch in the delivered energy department either.

At some point the bigger diameter,heavier,slower speed bullets would cross paths with the smaller diameter,lighter,higher speed bullets. At what range I do not know. But..............if everyone of us here kept track of the distances that we killed every hog at,then averaged them out,take a guess as to what that range would be.

My "guess" -----> 50-70yds. Maybe ....... (?) ....... even less. --- pruhdlr

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A 223AI shooting a 70gr TSX out of a 20" 1:8 twist bbl would be "interesting".

At the stated 110yds a 300BO with a 130gr TSX started out as fast as possible would be no slouch in the delivered energy department either.

At some point the bigger diameter,heavier,slower speed bullets would cross paths with the smaller diameter,lighter,higher speed bullets. At what range I do not know. But..............if everyone of us here kept track of the distances that we killed every hog at,then averaged them out,take a guess as to what that range would be.

My "guess" -----> 50-70yds. Maybe ....... (?) ....... even less. --- pruhdlr
The animals I shoot would blow that average out of the water quick. Average for here is 220-250yds. I might not shoot 1000 in a year, but I do get a few.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
At night ?? With what NVD/thermal ?? Ahhhhhhhh.....I see now....central Calif. Your the "other" 5%. Sorry. --- pruhdlr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
10 min with a dremmel and I can make a cheap 10rd ASC load 4rds at 2.38.

Is this the magazine modification where the tip of the bullet sticks out through the front of the magazine?

I have two more complete at-15 lowers sitting at home looking for something else to wear on top.

I just got through looking at the hodgdon data for the 6.8 Remington SPC. Does anyone here have any idea if the Wilson combat 18" 6.8 spc2 would come close to matching those velocities on the hodgdon site? I assume the test barrel is longer than 18"?

That might be a good choice?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is this the magazine modification where the tip of the bullet sticks out through the front of the magazine?

I have two more complete at-15 lowers sitting at home looking for something else to wear on top.

I just got through looking at the hodgdon data for the 6.8 Remington SPC. Does anyone here have any idea if the Wilson combat 18" 6.8 spc2 would come close to matching those velocities on the hodgdon site? I assume the test barrel is longer than 18"?

That might be a good choice?

which data are you looking at? i have an 18" 6.8 and can test some loads for velocity

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
which data are you looking at? i have an 18" 6.8 and can test some loads for velocity
Specifically, I was looking on the Hodgdon website online data for the 100 grain barnes bullet. Various powders showed max velocity upper 2700 lower 2800 ft./s

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll look it up and see what I can do

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok, first off when it comes to the 6.8spc you need to know that there are 2 chamber designs. Like the 223 and the 556. 6.8SPC is a very weak and under performing load, remmington messed up the chamber design, this pattern is almost completely abandoned and only a couple of companies still use it in their rifles. The other is the 6.8SPCII, it has the correct leade and freebore, and can shoot a much hotter load than its little brother the 6.8SPC. Most all published reloading data is for the SPC, and using a 24" test barrel. For 95 and under bullets Reloder 7 works best, 95-120gr bullets Accurate Arms 2200 is the powder of choice, for 120+ H335 seems to be the ticket.

My reloads are as follows:
95gr Barnes TTSX, 30gr of RL7, CCI450 primers, SSA brass, 2.295 COAL. Produces 3/4-7/8" 100yd groups, at 3050fps.
100gr Nosler Accubond, 28gr AA2200, CCI450, SSA brass, 2.295 COAL. 3/8" 100yd groups, 2845fps.
90gr Sierra HP, 29gr RL7, CCI450, SSA brass, 2.285 Coal. 2950fps and .2-.22" 5 shot 100yd groups. SUPER ACCURATE
140gr Berger VLD, 27gr AA2200, CCI450, SSA brass, 2.295 Coal. 2450fps 1/2" 200yd groups

If you are interested in getting a 6.8, go over to 68forums.com and look around for a little bit. Check out the stickys, there is some great info in them!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for that info aspp. What barrel length/weapon are you using to get those velocities?

That's impressive data.

Thanks.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Mine is an 18" ************** barrel in a Frankengun I built.
Only picture I have of it in its current setup:
DSCN1822_zpsc5319d66.jpg

I know, I know, I ugly'd the buck to death!
18" *** Barrel and 6.8 Superbolt
Troy TRX HG
Aero Precision upper and lower recivers (not matched, just what was cheap and on hand at the time)
Stag LPK
Magpul ACS-L butstock
H Buffer
Pri Adjustable gas block
Milspec BCG

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
+1 for the ************** barrel/bolt combos. I have one 6.8x43 16" gun, and am building another one (much like it) as well as one of his .223 Wylde 16" barrels.

I have YET to see my Colt "Match Grade HBAR" come anywhere NEAR what my *** rifle can produce (in terms of accuracy).

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i will agree. i love my 18" *** 6.8 barrel. shoots like a dream and is super accurate. about the most accurate rifle in my safe

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have the 18" 6.8 and a 20" 556 from ***, they both give me a run for the money accuracy wise. I am a bolt gunner by nature, always scoffed at the idea of a semi-auto being accurate, found out that is BS. These ARs are VERY accurate. And fun as hell to build and customize.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My *** 6.8 will out shoot my browning bar in 30-06 at 200 yards. I sold the bar because the 6.8 was all I would need