AR Chambered In .30-'06

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This AM at a local gunshop saw my first AR chambered in .30-'06. A big long thing..... it was about 44" OAL with a 24-26" bbl.

Not for me, however the 300Win Mag AR is not either. If I was in the market for more power at a longer distance I would attach a 338Fed upper to a 308 sized lower. IIRC the gun was $1679. Interesting though. --- pruhdlr

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If only I had the funds, Id be all over that like a fat kid on cake.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Who makes it, was it a complete rifle from somewhere or a custom job someone ordered?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's it right there. Would be "interesting" re-chambered to .25-'06AI.

Remember....they have made a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 Win Mag semi-auto for some time now. They are called a BAR. --- pruhdlr

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
25-06AI would be a very capable round in an AR10 type platform.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shot the nemo arms 300 win mag. That thing is amazing. Accurate as hell. I'm in the process of building 2 ar-10's now. One will be 358 Winchester and the other will be a wildcat of the 22-250 case. Not sure what ill neck it up to but it should be interesting. I would love to shoot the 30-06 and see how it compares to all of mine. Might just be like shooting the BAR

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMO a great thread to start would be: ---> How many different chamberings are offered in the AR operating system(both 223 size and 308 size) ???

About 3 years ago several of us at the local gun range were sitting around after a match chatting. Back then we came up with 30 or so. Nowadays........??

I do wish that there were more AI's offered and the WSM's/WSSM's would operate more reliably. Inherently the short fat little powder containers are more accurate. Cases with a shorter powder column. Example: the PPC's. --- pruhdlr

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IMO a great thread to start would be: ---> How many different chamberings are offered in the AR operating system(both 223 size and 308 size) ???

About 3 years ago several of us at the local gun range were sitting around after a match chatting. Back then we came up with 30 or so. Nowadays........??

I do wish that there were more AI's offered and the WSM's/WSSM's would operate more reliably. Inherently the short fat little powder containers are more accurate. Cases with a shorter powder column. Example: the PPC's. --- pruhdlr
There's a list for that in so many different forums. With all the wildcats out there the list has hit over 100 on some boards. I have barrels for 9 wildcats myself and I'm having dies cut for 2 more

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We could probably do a lot more wildcatting in existing ar15 if we had access to those long OAL magazines again.

I never put my hands on one of them and I don't think DPMS makes them anymore but the magazine was set up as a single stack and the cartridge ride in the groove at either end of the magazine allowing a much greater overall length.

I don't have my calipers handy but I think you might have been able to go as far as 2.4".

I'm thinking 7.62 x 40 or even longer than 40 to be able to get even more powder in there. I would love to be able to use those magazine and reform 223 brass into some wildcat cartridge that would allow me to stuff a 168 grain 30 caliber bullet into an AR15 with enough powder behind it to get 2600 ft./s. I'm okay with the longer barrel and reduced magazine capacity to be able to do this and have no idea if this may even be possible with today's technology.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you could extend the mag you still cannot extend the brass(case)or fit enough powder in the case to get the bullet going that fast I do not believe. --- pruhdlr

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yes you're right.

For fun, I ran a 223 case through a 30caliber expander mandrel and measured the case length. It's approx 1.725" long. I plugged that case length into quickload overwriting the existing 7.62x40WT cartridge length. I changed the case length and used the shortest bullet (150 grain) seated as short as possible to maximize that magazine length. Playing around with different powders and charges, I still couldn't even get quickload to tell me that I could expect a 150 grain bullet to exceed about 2400 fps without going way over 65000 psi.

I know the case dimensions you would have after expanding the mouth on a 223 are not the same as a 762x40 stretched to 1.725, but there may not be enough additional case capacity to get me there? (just guessing, I could be wrong)

Quickload does think you can get a Speer TNT 125 grain bullet speeding along at 2601 FPS in a 22 inch barrel using 27 grains of AA1680 in my mystery cartridge. I'm really just curious about maximizing the 223 case in a std. AR-15.

I did just receive my 300OSSM upper last week. Well ahead of schedule and have not had time to get it out yet. If it runs correctly and as advertized, my biggest problem may only be keeping up with my brass?

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes you're right.

For fun, I ran a 223 case through a 30caliber expander mandrel and measured the case length. It's approx 1.725" long. I plugged that case length into quickload overwriting the existing 7.62x40WT cartridge length. I changed the case length and used the shortest bullet (150 grain) seated as short as possible to maximize that magazine length. Playing around with different powders and charges, I still couldn't even get quickload to tell me that I could expect a 150 grain bullet to exceed about 2400 fps without going way over 65000 psi.

I know the case dimensions you would have after expanding the mouth on a 223 are not the same as a 762x40 stretched to 1.725, but there may not be enough additional case capacity to get me there? (just guessing, I could be wrong)

Quickload does think you can get a Speer TNT 125 grain bullet speeding along at 2601 FPS in a 22 inch barrel using 27 grains of AA1680 in my mystery cartridge. I'm really just curious about maximizing the 223 case in a std. AR-15.

I did just receive my 300OSSM upper last week. Well ahead of schedule and have not had time to get it out yet. If it runs correctly and as advertized, my biggest problem may only be keeping up with my brass?
Check out 7mmTCU! 120 gr bullet might get up there.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been hearing mutterings that the 300OSSM is not geting the velocities that Oly has advertised. Maybe with abnormally long bbl's. It does seem to be an "interesting" chambering to me though. For now,I still feel that my longer distance heavy hitter would be the 338Federal. Although a somewhat limited selection of bullets.

Please post how this upper does for you. --- pruhdlr

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yes you're right.

That 2600fps goal is a light-mid range load for a 308. Not possible out of the 5.56 case. You can not make up for the small case with the fast powders. Now a 30RAR with a AI'd shoulder might get close, or a 6mm Hagar streached to 30cal and AI'd would be in the same ball park. No matter what, I don't see it happening from a 2.26 case length. 2.31-2.35 would be min if I had to guess. Those 165/168s are long.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just a pipe dream of mine. And that's why I brought up those special magazines that might allow you to stretch the case a little longer?

How about I ask the question another way? If you wanted to get the most power for hunting hogs, at 200 yards or less, and wanted to use a mainstream or wildcat cartridge based off a 223 case, which one would you choose?

I'm not looking for extreme long range, just looking for a good bit more punch than a 300blk that I have.

To date, I have not shot at any hog beyond 110 yards.

Hopefully the OSSM will not frustrate me too bad.