AR-10 308

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone been watching the price on these things... :)
I've got too many out of state hunts lined up this year to buy one but man its tempting.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smith&Wesson has ar10s that are $999 right now I think

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
But keep in mind that your budget should allow for the add ons that will allow this gun to be a better shooter and ergonomically better suited to your likeing.

Like the rest of the AR's I have added and changed more than a "few" things on my Bushmaster to make it better for ME. --- pruhdlr

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only thing I'd add is a NV scope. But what can handle the recoil of these tanks? (Next year!).

From what I understand AR10's aren't as universal with swapping parts around like the AR15's. School me if I'm wrong. (Got a year to build).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you are right, the parts are not as interchange capable, you pretty much are stuck w the brand you buy. To me the *** nexgen would be the way to go.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The difference with AR 10's is a DPMS style and an Armalite style. The barrel nut, threading on the receiver, bolt, bolt carrier and barrel extension are different. There are more using DPMS style then the AR10 style. Bushmaster, DPMS, gap, mega arms and LMT is DPMS style. Armalite and Christensen Arms is Armalite stlye. I am unsure on LWRC and Christensen arms has said they will more than likely be offering both styles and some point.

You can run one stlye in the other as long as you use the same style barrel extension, bolt and bolt carrier. Example is I built my girl friend an AR-10 with a Mega Arms receiver(DPMS style) using a Christensen Arms carbon fiber barrel and hand guard(Armalite). Had to use an Armalite carrier and bolt to match up with the barrel extension.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and PSA is another whole new animal, so is the DPMS GII

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think that the differences is what slows this platform down. Had they all gotten together like the AR15 and had 1 standard, you would see the market huge already.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yes there have been, smaller. lighter but still all new platforms, nothing standard.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I meant if have found a little more and better selection on regular AR10 components ie barrels, bolts and carriers.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah and the prices are way down, lower than ever before with a larger selection

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The DPMS GII and ARPs next gen have caught my eye lately. I've been interested in 308 gas guns for a while, but the diversity of the designs and the weight of the rifle have slowed the buying process.

I think the newer, lighter weight designs are the ticket.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yep, the lighter the better, they are getting down to the standard AR-15 weight now and that is a good thing. because of the way an AR handles recoil they will be much lighter than a bolt gun and face it, the 308 is even a better caliber than the 6.8 for hog hunting. The only thing is for follow up shots and managing recoil.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you build them right they are light in the current configurations. I just built 2 Mega Arms MATENs. One is the new megalithic and the other is a regular. Both are close to AR15 weights.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is recoil? Still curious if NV can handle the joules of a 308?