Anyone using a red dot for hogs?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I finally have my Mosin Nagant shooting sub moa at 100 yds. I'm using a Barska scope with parallax adjustment mounted solid. The parallax adjustment did the trick. I also want to use my mini 14 for hogs. I have a PA Red Dot mounted on it now and wanted opinions on that setup. It is an early model mini 14. I have added a barrel strut and will be using 55gr HP rounds. I will have a green light mounted on the gun also. I do know that the green light does the job. Does this sound like a good setup for 80 to 120 yd head shots? I will have a steady rest shooting from my blind.
What do y'all think?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used eotechs for a long time love them. They are very fast to get on target.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That Primary arms red dot is a solid little red dot for the money. It might be best to take it to the range and find out how u can do shooting it from a bench at 50 and 100 yards to get a better idea of what u and that rifle are capable of with that red dot on it.
You won't have as much room for error shooting a 5.56 as you would a larger caliber though... Unless u need the exercise and really just want to do more tracking.. Jk. Or if u want them to run off of your property before they die.
For me personally, I would prefer to keep my shots with a steady rest at ~50 yds with a 5.56/red dot and green light in the dark if I wanted to feel confident about dropping the vast majority of them in their tracks.

Also, a 1-4x24 optic with an illuminated red dot might be a good option to pair with the green light on the AR. 4x magnification might make shooting over 100 yds in the dark a little easier to hit your mark. And a lit up red center dot/crosshairs will be easily visible with a green light on a black hog. I think primary arms makes one too

D

djones

for me, the size of the dot makes a lot of difference. if the dot covers 4 or 8 moa, i probably won't be making too many 100 yard head shots with it. i also like to be able to control the intensity so it doesn't bloom and obscure the target.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tried a Red dot (Aimpoint) could not see the dot as a small round dot..it was squared off and funny looking, kinda like DJ. Anyway they say if you have an astigmatism in your eye you cant see them crisp. Might look through one first, good ones are pricey.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe most or all?? Eotechs are a 1 moa center dot so the dot wouldn't be too big at that distance. Not sure though they might make eotechs with a larger center dot.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I have a PA scope with illum reticle on a .270. I use it for deer mostly and then hogs at night also during deer season. I would like to make this mini 14 setup work with my red dot. The brightness is adjustable by the way. I shot a double last weekend using my Savage .223 at 50 yds and a Sightmark photon IR night vision scope. The two 65 lb pigs lined up and I brained both dead on their feet with one shot. 55 gr JHP.

chthump

LSB Member
Red dots for close range or in timber work better than most anything for me.

Anyone else but TLM, on the 400 yard coyote shot, I'd call BS with a red dot. But I know better.