Anyone else sick the day after all-night hog hunt?

hankercheeky

Hey, I know using thermals and nite viz can cause disorientation, blah blah.

What I want to know is if it's normal to wake up the next morning and have a head full of worms. Nausea, must move carefully, don't even think about bending over. Sucks!

This is after 6-7 hours of scanning (close in and far afield) with thermals, switching viewing options, long stalks, etc.

I haven't been using these optics like a "real operator" for my entire life, but I hunt a few nights per week in Texas.

I use pulsar helion, and a pulsar core mounted on my AR.

Y'all tell me what you know...

Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes thermals have been known to negatively affect your health. Get rid of it ASAP, my address is in a PM, you can thank me later!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet you feel better already!

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FrankT I am worried about your health now. I will send you my address in a PM. LOL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

What I want to know is if it's normal to wake up the next morning and have a head full of worms. Nausea, must move carefully, don't even think about bending over. Sucks!

This is after 6-7 hours of scanning (close in and far afield) with thermals, switching viewing options, long stalks, etc.

I haven't been using these optics like a "real operator" for my entire life, but I hunt a few nights per week in Texas.

Thanks.

Disorientation should be limited to the period that you are using the scope. This should pass with familiarity of how they work. Some people even get it with daylight optics, but not as much so.

Morning after sounds a lot like a hangover or that you are pregnant. Hangovers often are due to a lack of proper hydration caused by the diuretic effects of alcohol. I would suggest you work on hydrating before you go out and continue to hydrate during the night. Drink water even when you are not thirsty.

If pregnant, you probably should not be shooting anyway.

Last edited:

Bacon8tor

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I always feel atleast a little bit off the next day after a late night hunt. Even if I sleep in to make up for it. And if I have to work the next day and get up early after only 2-3 hours of sleep, thats the worst. But I have a hog hunting addiction. It's worth it.

I've never experienced dizziness or nausea though. Not during the hunt or the day after. Brians probably on to something, you may need to hydrate more.

marineimaging

LSB Member

Thanks.
I know that light frequency can have an adverse affect on the brain, but to last that long might be more from fatigue. You might have noticed that a lot of emergency vehicles stopped using strobe lights on their vehicles. This was for two reasons but one being that they could trigger epileptic seizures. Then the police started using strobes to disorient the perpetrator. Now you rarely see them for the same reason.

But it sounds more like food poisoning than thermal poisoning. If you were not sick after hunting and stopped to get a bite to eat before going home I might suspect that more than a scoping device.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It might be an inner ear disturbance caused by the thermal and NV equipment.

I have Meniere's and it SUCKS! I cannot watch video games or Imax movies. I also cannot do roller coasters, merry go rounds, or anything that spins. I think helicopters are evil! What you describe matches how I feel when the Meniere's kicks in.

I know what to avoid, so I don't have to deal with it often. I'm not saying you have Meniere's, but if you have symptoms using thermal and NV equipment, you may have an inner issue.

Try the over the counter meds first. If they don't work, ask for a prescription for Meclizine. It's used for motion sickness.

If that doesn't help, try the transdermal scopolamine patch. It goes on behind your ear and works for up to 3 days. It gives me blurry vision and dry mouth, but that is better than vomiting all over myself when I fly.

Hope this help!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB

I have Meniere's and it SUCKS! I cannot watch video games or Imax movies. I also cannot do roller coasters, merry go rounds, or anything that spins. I think helicopters are evil! What you describe matches how I feel when the Meniere's kicks in.

I know what to avoid, so I don't have to deal with it often. I'm not saying you have Meniere's, but if you have symptoms using thermal and NV equipment, you may have an inner issue.

Try the over the counter meds first. If they don't work, ask for a prescription for Meclizine. It's used for motion sickness.

If that doesn't help, try the transdermal scopolamine patch. It goes on behind your ear and works for up to 3 days. It gives me blurry vision and dry mouth, but that is better than vomiting all over myself when I fly.

Hope this help!
Yikes! That sucks.

I wonder if my wife has that?

She came and spent the night with me up at our hunting club shortly after I got my roof top flir set up for viewing from a dashboard mounted video monitor.

She lasted about one minute and said it was making her carsick immediately.

I hope you get it worked out Hank.

hankercheeky

Hope this help!

Thanks for the reply. I know no-one likes to talk about their weaknesses and I've waited two yrs to inquire to a large group of male hunter types. But I really just needed to know if this was normal but not discussed, or if something is short wired in my eyes/brain.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don’t see it as a weakness but something I have to deal with. I know what bothers me and I avoid setting it off.

There are doctors that can help with vestibular issues if it gets bad enough. From my understanding, you can either get a prescription for anti nausea meds or build your tolerance. Building your tolerance means pushing your symptoms a little further over a period of time so you won’t need meds. I don’t like getting dizzy on purpose.

I vote for the meds!

hankercheeky

I always feel atleast a little bit off the next day after a late night hunt. Even if I sleep in to make up for it. And if I have to work the next day and get up early after only 2-3 hours of sleep, thats the worst. But I have a hog hunting addiction. It's worth it.

I've never experienced dizziness or nausea though. Not during the hunt or the day after. Brians probably on to something, you may need to hydrate more.
Hell yeah it's worth it. I do this to myself multiple times/week, and I know what's going to be the outcome, but as soon as the sun starts to set...I start drooling and gnashing and checking my equipment. Then I stay out hunting till 4 am, am sick the next day, and the process starts over. Rock on!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In speaking with others that have Meniere’s, there is no set pattern for the symptoms. My ears always ring and bright lights bother me. If the vertigo really kicks in, it can take up to 24 hours for me to feel normal again.

When I work in Jacksonville, I got to take a flight and the trauma helicopter. About three minutes into the flight we were diverted over the St. Johns River. One from 5 mile an hour winds to 46 mile an hour winds. Within about two minutes of that, I started break out in a sweat and I knew it wasn’t going to end well. I feel the bar that was so much puke that the bottom of the bag broke. I was covered for my tits to my knees in my own puke. Made it back to the top of the parking garage where the landing pad was located and laid in my underwear in the fetal position for eight hours until I could stand up without falling over. Apparently I didn’t move much, so every once in a while somebody would come check on me to make sure I wasn’t dead. I had to throw away my entire outfit. Fortunately, someone brought me a pair of scrubs to wear.

Looking back, that experience was pretty damn funny. I wouldn’t wish the vertigo on my worst enemy though.

hankercheeky

In speaking with others that have Meniere’s, there is no set pattern for the symptoms. My ears always ring and bright lights bother me. If the vertigo really kicks in, it can take up to 24 hours for me to feel normal again.

When I work in Jacksonville, I got to take a flight and the trauma helicopter. About three minutes into the flight we were diverted over the St. Johns River. One from 5 mile an hour winds to 46 mile an hour winds. Within about two minutes of that, I started break out in a sweat and I knew it wasn’t going to end well. I feel the bar that was so much puke that the bottom of the bag broke. I was covered for my tits to my knees in my own puke. Made it back to the top of the parking garage where the landing pad was located and laid in my underwear in the fetal position for eight hours until I could stand up without falling over. Apparently I didn’t move much, so every once in a while somebody would come check on me to make sure I wasn’t dead. I had to throw away my entire outfit. Fortunately, someone brought me a pair of scrubs to wear.

Looking back, that experience was pretty damn funny. I wouldn’t wish the vertigo on my worst enemy though.
Hear ya, friend. There is a lot of falling over that happens next day, which just pisses me off.

Now, some nights (if there is no moon and I literally can't see hand in front of face) I'll fall sideways, fall in hog holes, walk into limbs, because the world is rocking-- like it feels when on a boat in rough water.

Grrr. I just wanna slaughter innocents. Don't wanna deal with this shite.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The problem people can have at night deals with the lack of reference points.

If you get seasick on a boat, looking at the horizon helps.

Not having a reference point distorts the brains perception of direction.