Anyone else have an abnormal acorn drop last season?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by 437, Mar 11, 2017.

1. 437

437 LSB Active Member

As I've talked to various friends about their deer season in review I'm finding what we had here on the Gulf Coast wasn't isolated. We had an insane acorn drop it was bizarre. And upon receiving this link from a buddy I guess it happened in several areas. Jacksonville had it. South Georgia had it. South Carolina lowlands didn't have it. Did it effect your season? We had it two fold: no trappers for hogs so they got out of hand + they had food everywhere they looked so their pattern was no pattern at all. Look down wherever they happened to be and fall into a pile of acorns.

Interesting read if you didn't know the 411 on why this happens. I've seen some heavier years and lighter years, but this year was cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

That's nuts: Acorn onslaught hits Florida

Here's to 2017 bow season!

2. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

Florence County, SC had an INSANE acorn crop this year.

3. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I'm not sure where that is? Is that low country? My buddy is in Beaufort. Dang I shoulda been hiring kids to gather them up and crush it for fodder sweetness. Wonder how acorns hold up stored?

4. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I love that Jeep in your name thing picture what a great swamp rig one of the guys on the lease has one with a winch there is nowhere he can't get or get people out of.

5. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I'm in houston. They were eeeeeeeevveerrryywherrrree for a looooonnnggg time

6. Wildfowler

Wildfowler Mis'sippi SUS VENATOR CLUB

MS was nuts!!

theblakester likes this.
  7. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Ok now I'm not feeling so nutty. Did you guys switch up your game? Friend in Jax went to peanut butter nailed to the tree the last 10 days of rifle season and took 2 gorgeous 8's. I'm going to start prospecting in the late summer with a cell cam in a few spots with nothing but cheap Sam's Club PB just to see.

Drop Zone likes this.
  8. Drop Zone

Drop Zone LSB Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Northeast Florida hogs have already decimated the blood root or red root & have moved to palmetto shoots, and a leafy swamp plant that I haven't id'd, acorns being long gone, what sucks is a bumper crop means low or no crop for two years. PB will sure pull in every bear in the county.

9. Wildfowler

Wildfowler Mis'sippi SUS VENATOR CLUB

They sell peanut putter in big drums at the co-op.

But I'll bet they'll like Jif better? The stuff in the drum looked and smelled nasty.

10. pruhdlr

pruhdlr Cantonment,Fla. SUS VENATOR CLUB

IMO - - -> Here in extreme NW Fla we had a good crop but I have seen better,which was about 3 years ago.
    It effects our deer hunting greatly because most of the clubs are open'ish pines with low thick bottoms running thru them. On my club the bottoms have water which is usually spring fed,along with three different types of oaks,wild pecans,and high bush blueberries.
    These bottoms are also an excellent travel way for the deer and hogs. The animals can stay in these thick bottoms and feed and to get them out onto my plots takes some doing. I have to plant a good plot,plus supply mineral and salt licks,and corn mixed with soy beans,slung from a feeder.
    Probably the only good part of all this is I know exactly where the deer and hogs come up from the bottons and onto my plots. I have the spots marked with orange tape for daytime use and aluminum tape for night (hogs and yotes) hunting with thermal. --- pruhdlr

11. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I'm interested to see what comes next season b/c there are only so many places they can cross fields safely with our borders of roads, river and swamps. I'm convinced the deer rarely if ever left their bedding b/c they didn't have to with acorns falling on their head and every time they did move the explosion of hogs w/o trappers last season ran them off the feeders. When someone saw a deer in a plot it was 'dude there is a 6 at 'xyz' plot!!' It was akin to tripping over a case of weapons grade plutonium sitting on the sidewalk in the Gaza Strip. Every time a shooter showed up on camera at a fresh spot the hogs would move in and run them off within a few days that was the window to get them.....a few days and.....poof gone.

12. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

Thanks! It's currently in the middle of a significant upgrade. Hopefully I'll have photos to post soon.

13. ZenArchery

ZenArchery LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Mine hasn't stopped dropping since September?????

14. 437

437 LSB Active Member

I had an interesting chat with a pest control guy who was putting a bb gun back in his truck last night across the street at my neighbors. He said the acorn super mast is just starting to slow here....in April. Said his bottom line has taken a beating like no other in his 25 years b/c the squirrels won't come to the usual bait/traps. It's Acorn Heaven so he is left to having to put eyes on them and shoot vs traps working 24/7. Between the severe drought/forest fires and acorn mast the hunting is certainly a challenge! We have 5,500 acres and spring turkey just finished last Sunday. There hasn't been a hog sighting in 3 weeks. Good thing it's only supposed to be 96 on Friday.

15. OneK

OneK LSB Active Member Staff Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

From what I have been reading its going to be a record year for Lyme disease too because of the acorns.

16. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Interesting I hadn't read that.....looks like I will keep doing my tick checks! I'm just hoping history follows and we have an opposite spectrum nil acorn drop and the big racks come back to the feeders.