Another crazy question,,,,,,,,,

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Have any of you coastal guys (Fisherman) ever used some kind of bait fish to lure hogs onto your land or stand?

I was just thinking about this the other day. We have PLENTY of atlantic menhaden here off the coast of SC. I could catch a 48 Qt cooler full in about 2-3 cast with the cast net.

Watcha think??????

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have taken the remains after cleaning fish and shrimp. If the hogs can get past the 100 buzzards they will eat it. heck they eat a deer or hog carcass too!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been told the fish feeders in private lakes are a special treat for hogs. I bet the smell alone would be worth it they could smell fish for miles!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been trying to get the fish feed for my hogs but now they seem to make it smell free, I said I want the stinky kind and the store said no more??? I hate that!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I saw a hunting show a few years ago where they were using open cans of sardines to attract hogs. I would think that raccoons would be a bigger problem, and the hogs would never get a chance. By the way, it worked on the show.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do use wet dog and cat food, brings in the yotes and buzzards too.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
game camera up and try it!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
results?

RevMS

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rick ... just remember that the DNR guys in SC use sardines to lure bears into their sampling traps ... you might want to be careful there ... an eager DNR officer might think you were looking for something other than hogs!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rick ... just remember that the DNR guys in SC use sardines to lure bears into their sampling traps ... you might want to be careful there ... an eager DNR officer might think you were looking for something other than hogs!
Ya but an eager officer might think your doing a lot of things looking for hogs! Hell they might think you are doing something when your doing nothing. I had a young game warden stop me and tell me I had shot a deer because he heard me shoot. Funny was I had not even shot it was my military trailer hitch banging when I hit a bump. He held me there for 45 minutes and I'm a LEO! o_O

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
rookies, you gotta love them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really Rick? I thought they were on the increase there? I am not familiar w the locations, any close to you?
"More than 800 black bears are now estimated to inhabit the coast, spread out over every county, including Charleston, Dorchester and Berkeley. And they’re not too far from your home.
A reproducing population has established itself in Ravenel, enough bears that cameras and sightings have confirmed sows with cubs and young and adult males, said wildlife biologist Deanna Ruth of the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

Claud Wessinger knows. The trail camera he set out for deer a few weeks back picked up a large male bear munching the corn bait, and settling down for a spell to do it.

Sure, this was Santee River country near the Francis Marion National Forest, known bear territory. But the family hunting tract is within shouting distance of the fire station at Jamestown."

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They sure are spreading here in FL I cannot imagine any Southern State does not have them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Consider yourself lucky, the damage they do is amazing, we have them come thru the lease a couple times a year.