ammo recommendation

Discussion in 'Reloading and ammunition' started by shannon, Sep 26, 2018.

1. shannon

shannon New Member

7.62x39 ammo recommendation for hog hunting. what ya got?

2. pruhdlr

pruhdlr Cantonment,Fla. SUS VENATOR CLUB

For me - - -> hunting with a X39 would be a reloading "must". There are some good factory loadings out there but to gain the full potential of the chambering,I would load my own.
    I would never attempt to use Tula or any of the steel cased stuff. Even the HP,lead nose,and others, are said to perform more like a FMJ.There are too many great bullets out there to have to go cheap.
    Your factory choices are pretty much between 121 and 124grs. To me,that is a perfect weight given the performance as far as velocities. There are a couple of 150gr offerings but to me that is unneeded weight and excessive loss of trajectory. Pick the right bullet and the X39 can be a great closer range killer of hogs OR deer. --- SAWMAN

3. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

I use the Hornady 123SST(steel case) and the S&B SP 124gr (brass case) both are effective, run well and are killers

Brian Shaffer likes this.
  4. ZenArchery

ZenArchery LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Hornady 123 SST's under 75 yards is great.
    As always shot placement.

5. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

Actually the Hornady 123SST is good to go at 150yds, so is the S&B, I run them in a 10.5" sidecharger AR pistol and shoot easily 100-125