Am I just a real SOB?

JeffT

This may be a strange topic but one I wonder about often. As a hunter I train year round in all types of potential shooting scenarios and constantly strive for excellent marksmanship. I will and have not taken the shot if there's any question regarding an ethical hit. I love wildlife. I consider myself a devout conservationist and care taker of the earth for future generations and for me its always a little sad taking a majestic beasts life to sustain mine but one obviously I'm okay with.

Now with all that said when it comes to feral hogs I am exact opposite. Not to say I would ever intentionally take a gut shot when a neck shot was present just to cause a pig unneeded suffering but TBH guys there's something about these creatures that I'm very cold hearted. Their squealing pitched screams when hit do not bother me one bit and I would have no problem rapid firing into a tight packed sounder hitting them wherever in hopes if not a mortal hit they will expire from the damage in other ways. I kind of chuckle when the squeal and tumble.

I'm not trying to sound like a psycho or tough guy I just have no love for these animals other than to get to hunt them someday soon. But the odd thing is I really do respect them. They are tough as nails, as adaptable as an animal gets, and smart. Maybe its the destruction I have seen first hand on the beautiful island of Hawaii in which I visit each year but I wonder. I think I just really feel the best pig is a dead one. Maybe I am just a mean SOB but I say kill em all.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I suppose you won't be donating to my "Save a Feral Hog" foundation?
I have bumper stickers that say things like.."Hogs are people too"...and my favorite " Donate your crops to Hogs and be set free"

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hogs lives matter too Jeffe!! Just think of it like this, do you feel bad when you step on a roach and it crunches beneath your feet or catch a mouse in a sticky trap and it dyes a slow death? Probably not. The pigs are just larger and much more funner.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I saw this thread, I immediately thought the DJ was the author.

I think a lot of us feel the same way about conservation and hogs. I think your post describes me pretty well. Hogs do absolutely nothing good for the environment so I will do whatever I can to reduce their numbers.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kill 'em all, and eat as many of 'em as possible. Or... relocate as many of 'em as possible to "The Sand Box" to defile the non-Infidel types.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, I guess I'm a real "B" cause I feel the same way. Oink, snort, boom!

JeffT

Glad to know I'm not the only one with such disdain for these pests. I was discussing my desire to head to Texas and help eradicate as many as I can with a friend. His replky was its not the hogs fault they are just being what they are. To me his thinking is irrelevant. I could say the same thing as a hunter. I too am just doing what I do except I don't cause millions of dollars damaging properties, kill native species and massively unbalance the ecosystem. Maybe I should try hugging some trees.

LSB Active Member
We had more gorgeous shooter bucks chased out of routine productive areas this year by hogs I hate and despise them(no trappers this season). Beautiful bucks show up for a few days on cam and then the hogs show up, deer gone like a fart in the wind. Move feeder, repeat. This season was a cluster bang like that month after month, but that's what happens when the trappers are not present we can't keep up with it. After spring turkey ends it's gonna be a meat grinder of epic proportions this summer.

jglass

LSB Member
Farmers with crop damage from hogs would certainly embrace your feelings. I feel the wild hog hunting is a great sport that should be treasured since hunting most wild animals is taxed and regulated. I shoot my wild hogs then take them to the RV resort and host a hog roast. Most people think the wild hog meat is better than the store bought pork. There seems to be little chance of depleting the resource.