Always keep your fire arm within reach when your in the forest!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You would think this is a no brainer, however considering my situation I often am doing other things while on my hunting grounds. As I mentioned in my intro, I work for a hay farmer. At this point Its hard to imagine a farmer in TX not having hogs in his fields. Im 10 min from the office and 5 min from the primary location, I hunt. Im often in the fields 4 to 6 days a week, and always have an eye looking for signs of activity. Considering we cut the hay 3 to 5 times each summer depending on the field, its easy to pay attention to fresh hog damage. Especially considering the hay will grow back over a damaged area within 6 weeks.

Anyways, I've been in the fields most every day since April, & it isn't often you just stumble on a hog or two out of the blue. I decided to set a trap in another area miles away from my hunting grounds, with high hopes of catching a corn fed hog. The neighboring farmer grew corn, and the hogs tore his field up too.

After a week of checking the trap twice a day, I left my gun in the trunk of the car on one morning inspection. Its not like you need to have your gun in hand to shoot a hog in a cage before it runs away.

I drove down the road at a normal rate not even looking for signs. As soon as I rounded the corner, to my surprise 4 younger 75 lb give or take hogs were next to the brush line 10 or so yards from the trap. I stopped the car 75 yards away, and as quickly and quietly as I could, I popped out of the car opened the trunk, got my gun out of its case and loaded it. Not even 10 seconds. I looked up and they were gone into the brush. I pursued with out any luck.

So you would think I learned my lesson right?

With the deere (lol) er I mean deer season here, I decided to make a go at getting a buck too.

While out putting the final touches on the deer stands with a coworker the night before the opener, we jump in his truck to drive from one corn feeder to another I have set up about 1500 yards away.

While bouncing though the field in his jacked up crew cab Ford 4x4, out of the blue we see a hog cross in front of the truck away from the tree line and into the field. Louie says "Shoot it" My heart sank as I replied, "I left my gun in my car." He quickly turns around and heads back to my car. The whole time Im thinking its over before it even started.

Once back into his truck, with Gun and an extra clip totaling 60 rounds, we were off bouncing through the field in pursuit. I pointed in the direction I last saw the hog running, and half shouted "Go that way". Sure enough within seconds we spotted the lone hog still making a madd dash for the opposite tree line. Louie gets within 40 to 50 yards and I belt out "Stop".

Leaning half way out the window I make my best attempt to aim and pull the trigger. A miss..... Louie stomps on the gas and the chase is on. This time he gets within 20 yards, and I take a shot while were still moving. Then a light bulb goes off. I have a semi-auto, and 60 rounds. So I simply point the gun at the hog and start pulling the trigger, watching the dust fly to make adjustments.

Within a handful of seconds I burn through the first 30 rounds, and pop off the empty clip. Snap in the new clip, and swing the gun back out the window. Just as Im about to press the button to re-cock the gun, the clip falls out and onto the ground, as were still bouncing though the field. Again I belt out "Stop! the clip fell out of the gun!".

An eternity passes, as Im grasping at every dark patch on the ground, half cursing the $100 flashlight on my gun that is now not working. Then at last I spot the lost clip. Wahoooo the hunt is back on.

Once back into the truck, Louie punches it. Within 3 or 4 seconds the hog is once again spotted. At this point I imagine I had hit him once or twice as he was moving slower. Once we were on top of him again I open fire.

Between the loud truck, our hearts pumping, I hardly noticed how loud the gun was after pulling the trigger 51 times. Then all of a sudden, the hog spun around and started to stumble, We must have been doing 15 to 20 mph, as Louie drove right past him. Louie, slammed onto the breaks, through it into R, and backed up till we saw the hog in the lights again. I jumped out, and put one last shot into the Hogs head.

At this point I was laughing at how many mistakes had been made, and we still got the hog.

The moral of the story. Never leave your gun farther away then arms reach when your on your hunting grounds.

Attachments

• davidhog2.jpg
    davidhog2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 15

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is inevitable, if you don't have your gun you Will see a target. We need all that on video!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, if I don't have my rifle, then I don't have video.

I always have a pistol with me, but not a rifle. So I can't say I am without a gun, but sometimes given the distance, I have been without enough gun.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good story and sounds like it was a blast. I always have a gun with me......but not always a fire arm. You ex military types will understand that.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good story and sounds like it was a blast. I always have a gun with me......but not always a fire arm. You ex military types will understand that.
"...this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for killing, this is for fun..."

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck of an escapade!! And fun was had by all. It was a hell of a day at sea sir!!!! Nice hog and thanks for the laugh this AM!! BANG BANG!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great tale. I can't say I haven't done that in the pitch black driving by nightvision. It normally freaks out the passenger who may or may not be able to see.

Great story and good hog. Thanks for sharing.