Aftermarket XP50 mount

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The OEM mount sucks. Most experience it loosening up after a short period of time and losing zero. Pulsar offers a much shorter QD mount that is head and shoulders above the one that comes with it.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
I'd read a lot of the same about the stock mount loosening itself. Looks like the 2 choices are the improved Pulsar mount or the DLOC-PTM QD one. DLOC one looks nice but they sure are proud of it.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The short mount is ok if you aren’t switching between different rails. I haven’t had it work loose but I have to adjust the screw a turn or so for each gun’s rail or the monopod pole I put it on when scanning with it. Each picatinny rail seems to require a little adjustment. This gets old quick so I’m gonna break down and buy the DLoc- two-fitty ain’t cheep but guess it’s not much in the thermal world. I have a DLoc on my pvs-14 and it’s awesome for making quick transitions to/from rails in the dark

What gets me is that ZRODelta sells an acog mount that looks very similar to the Pulsar mount (but different hole spacing, base width) for about $100 less on their website, but doesn’t list the Pulsar mount there. You have to go through a 3rd party online vendor. Reckon’ ZRODelta has to pay Pulsar a licensing fee of some sort - hence the higher price? Maybe someone in the know can shed some light - something doesn’t smell right lol.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
I want to retain the ability to switch between different uppers without having to fool with the tension screws; that was my biggest complaint with my Zeus. Looks like I might have to suck it up and get the ZRO.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I want to retain the ability to switch between different uppers without having to fool with the tension screws; that was my biggest complaint with my Zeus. Looks like I might have to suck it up and get the ZRO.

Agree - I also have a Zeus but I leave it on a dedicated sbr b/c the mount screws have to be adjusted and I don’t trust it to hold zero if I were to move it around. I’ve searched high and low for the Bobro mount that was made in limited quantities a couple year ago but to no avail. If anyone reading this has a Bobro mount for a Zeus they’d turn loose of let me know!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Has anyone tried loctite?

Yep... seems to work with the Pulsar mounts. My friend put red locktite on one of his mount and it's held zero so far and he's not easy on his equipment. On his other rifle he forgot to put locktite on the pulsar mount and it came loose.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Isn't red loctite the stuff that requires heat to break it loose? On my firearms I typically go with blue loctite myself.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Isn't red loctite the stuff that requires heat to break it loose? On my firearms I typically go with blue loctite myself.

Yeah red locktite is pretty stout. Depending on how much you put on, it won't break once it cures unless you apply heat. I would stick with blue locktite. My friend for some reason does what he wants, even if it doesn't make sense. Before each hunt, he sprays his gun down with WD-40 and claims his guns run real smooth from it. But he constantly has jams and malfunctions.

Same thing with the locktite. We use it at work often and I suggested that he should stick with blue but he decided to use red for some reason.

ScottJ

LSB Member
Wow. Red loctite on a thermal scope. Very bad idea in my opinion. I suppose if/when the time comes, he can drill out the screws, drill into the center of them with a small bit, and maybe put a rod in there that fits tight he can heat up to transfer the heat to the loctite. Or maybe the tip of a diesel engine glow plug would fit (probably not). I'd go with green (or is it purple that is low strength?) loctite, or very very stingy on the blue.

YellowHammer

North Alabama
In regards to the Zeus and the ADM type mount it seems to hold zero decently well as long as you are only using it on one rifle. The slight differences in pic rail widths mean you have to tinker with the tension settings between every rifle and I always thought that was one too many variables to be comfortable with. FWIW I even got identical make/model rails bought at the same time and tension adjustments were still necessary when switching. Once I figured out how to set it up right I never had a problem with my Zeus mount loosening so no loctite issues there.

In regards to the pulsar I'm liking everything I see about the DLOC and would have ordered one already but I want to wait and see what bobro rolls out before deciding. I'm not usually one to jump on something as soon as it comes out but bobro has a reputation for great mounts. I'll either get one of theirs or buy a second-hand DLOC when somebody else upgrades.

Off-topic but don't ever use loctite on a RMR, I learned that the hard way. Luckily trijicon was nice enough to let me send it in and they got the screw out. I've got a tube of vibra-tite now that I'm going to try as a thread locker.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We've rented a few Reaps with the DLOC and it went on and off very easily. Now I understand that these are rentals but the last one seemed to loosen up on its own and kind of explained the plier marks on the knob. For those that own a DLOC, have you ever had to keep checking tightness of the knob?

I have a Zeus with the ADM mount. Pretty much similar experience as Hammer, the tension is pretty finicky so I think it would be hard to swap it to a different rifle and keep zero. I did have the mounting screws come loose so Blue Loctited all 4 and haven't had a problem in a year.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We've rented a few Reaps with the DLOC and it went on and off very easily. Now I understand that these are rentals but the last one seemed to loosen up on its own and kind of explained the plier marks on the knob. For those that own a DLOC, have you ever had to keep checking tightness of the knob?

I have a Zeus with the ADM mount. Pretty much similar experience as Hammer, the tension is pretty finicky so I think it would be hard to swap it to a different rifle and keep zero. I did have the mounting screws come loose so Blue Loctited all 4 and haven't had a problem in a year.
My DLOC wouldn’t stay at put at “hand tight” pressure.

The manufacturer told me to torque to a specific foot pound as an alternative to hand tight. I’m not swapping mine around and prefer this piece of mind.

(I can’t remember the exact number, but think it was 44 inch pounds)

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Reap-ir 35mm with Dloc mount. I zeroed it with the mount hand tight. Mine does start to loosen up after several rounds are fired. It hasn't been an issue for me though bc I just check it periodically and retighten it as needed. Only takes a second. Still holds zero either way unless it gets really loose. Still imo the best option for switching between rifles with ease and getting a good return to zero.

Also, my brother in law had a trail XQ50 with the factory mount. It came loose easily after just a few shots, didn't hold zero well (not sure if that was bc of the mount or bc of the early firmware issue with temperature/humidity related POI shifts), and I broke one of the mount screws tying to retighten the mount to the gun. He wound up getting the Dloc mount for it.